Sunday

boycott garth

I've always kind of liked Garth Brooks. I was a waitress at a small club in Knoxville called Ella Gurus when he played there in '88 or '89. ABout twenty people showed up. Seriously. He felt so bad for those of us working that night (who took home no tips) that he personally apologized and gifted me with a Garth Brooks t-shirt. I thought that was cute. Soon thereafter, his first single broke out on the charts and he became GARTH BROOKS.

I can't say I've ever bought any of his records, but I do kinda like that friends in low places song. It's fun to sing when you've had too much to drink. And I still have the t-shirt.

I also thought his whole "become another person" experiment back a few years ago was rather bold and interesting. Plus, he was funny when he hosted SNL.

But now I will be boycotting Mr. Brooks. I will no longer wear his crummy t-shirt, even to sleep in, which is what it has been relegated to since that big hole developed over the "R" in his name in about 1999.

Shame on you Garth Brooks. Don't you have enough money? Why not sign a deal to only sell your records in locally owned record stores? At the very least, why not avoid freaking Wal-Mart?

No comments: