Thursday

cindy sheehan

Why Cindy Sheehan?

Why, after two years without any single person, event or single group managing to muster any cohesive or potent dissent against the war, has this grieving mother finally been able to do it?

I'm not sure, exactly, except the grief of a parent who has lost a child is the most universal grief that exists. It's a raw hurt that no one can ignore, no matter what their political views. When a mother speaks of losing her son, no one can really ignore her.

And now the right wingers, including some in her own family, have gone on the attack, impugning her motives and making things up about her. The fact that her husband has now filed for divorce is trotted out as reason enough to discredit anything she says, despite the fact that MANY marriages end in the wake of a couple losing a child, even an adult child.

Ultimately, I don't really care why it is Cindy Sheehan who has finally captured the media's and the public's imagination in whatever way it takes to get some real momentum behind an antiwar movement. All I know is that tonight I took my children to an antiwar rally and when my seven year old son saw all the people there, he said to me, "Mama, I thought we were the only ones who are against the war."

Now he knows that we are not.

So thanks, Ms. Sheehan.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

We also went to a vigil in support of Cindy Sheehan, and in support of all the mothers' children who have died and the ones who hopefully won't have to die.

My husband, who would march in an anti-war rally any day, had a few reservations. Why is is just a middle class white boy's death that will get us all against the war? Why not all the black children, all the poor children, all the Iraqi children?

I say, if there is finally an outcry against the war, I am willing to support it. WE know we were against it from the start.

Anonymous said...

so, um, I guess it is OK for her to protest the war and disagree with the president but its not OK for anyone to disagree with HER??? seems mighty strange to me.....
it used to be that mothers of dead soldiers grieved and were proud instead of going on a national whinefest against the president.
a sign of our times perhaps...