Saturday

not saying no

There are ways I really want my daughter to be different from me and tonight reminded me of one of them.

A few weeks ago I had a first date with a man who really upset and scared me. Seriously, it was probably the most freaky encounter I have ever had with a man, and it left me pretty shaken up. I had offers from several male friends to kick his ass or worse, but I told them that I hoped to just never see him again.

Well, I guess that was fairly unlikely, and tonight I ran into him at a show I went to see (The Divine Brown and The High Score -- a pretty good show, by the way. Hadn't planned to go after the benefit thing but ended up going anyway)

I came out of the bathroom at this bar and there he was, literally standing directly in front of me. Before I could even process that he was standing there, he grabbed me and hugged me. Now you have to understand that last time I saw him, I fled his presence (and his vehicle) near tears. There is NO WAY he could think it was okay for him to put his hands on me.

Not only did he grab me and hug me, he said, "Hey Kate. Can't we be friends?" I muttered something noncommital and started to walk away, feeling creepy, when he began to grab me AGAIN and said something about needing "a second hug."

Why I did not punch him in the face or kick him or at least tell him very emphatically to get his goddamn hands off of me, I don't know. Instead, I was all wimpy and just grabbed onto the friend I had come with and muttered some introduction and then pulled my friend out the door and onto the sidewalk.

And then I just felt terrible. I considered going back into the bar and telling him what I should have told him when he grabbed me, but instead I just came home, feeling like a total wuss.

I have no idea why I didn't speak up. Was it all those "be nice" and "be polite" lessons I had drilled into me growing up? Was I still somewhat scared of the guy, despite the fact that I was surrounded by people whom I know and like, and who wouldn't have let anything bad happen to me? I don't know.

All I know is that I want to figure out why I reacted that way and also try to figure out how to impart to my daughter that she doesn't have to EVER let anyone touch her or even speak to her unless she wants him to, and that it's okay to be aggressively negative with anyone who bothers her.

I'll have to give the whole thing some thought.

Off to bed... big horse show in Kentucky tomorrow...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you can impart the empowering knowledge to you daughter, but I can sympathize with you. I think it's a shame, but most of us women have been in a similar situation and done the "polite" thing and let the jerk off easy. In fact, just this past Thursday some stranger on the street grabbed my ass and all I did was give him a mean look when I should have read him the riot act.

The only advice I can offer you for future encounters with Mr. Creep and/or others is to keep your wits about you and tell him what you REALLY think.

I hope you are able to teach your daughter to do the same. I'm not a mom, so I can't offer advice.

Stay strong.

Anonymous said...

Because we are taught to be polite and non-confrontational as little girls; that's why. The same thing happened to me in college. A guy doctored my drink, tried to do his thing and when I did tell him off, he told every one I made the whole thing up. Told all our mutual friends that I was trying to make him out to be a rapist. Don't fall for the jerk's attitude again. Tell him the next time you see him that you aren't going to allow him to make you feel anything again. And tell him in a loud, deep voice. It works!

Julie said...

Well, as it turns out, I had the opportunity to tell this guy to stay the hell away from me because -- are you ready for this? He e-mailed me today to tell me how nice it was to run into me last night (!!!).

I e-mailed him back. It wasn't a friendly e-mail.

Anonymous said...

I was a bit surprised to meet this man myself and also felt unprepared. It happened too fast for me to do anything but run out the door with you. I wondered if I should have kicked his ass (not really in my social or physical repetoire), told him never to talk to you again, or just walked away. With a little more time I might have said something to strongly suggest that he stay away from you, but I didn't pull that off.

I'm a nice guy. I love women. I respect women. Virtually all of my friends are women. Nevertheless, I still sometimes exhibit what I consider bad behavior. I'm constantly in fear that I'll be that guy. (But really, my bad behavior isn't really so bad given that I'm not 14 or even 24.)

I've reflected before about why I'm not that guy and what it was that my parents and the village who raised me did to make me not be that guy, and I'm not entirely sure. So while you're trying to figure out how not to make your daughter behave the way that you did, remember that you need to be twice as mindful to make your two sons not behave like this guy did. I don't see that happening, but this guy's mother probably didn't either.

Anonymous said...

In all seriousness, you might try practicing in a role-playing sort of way -- have a trusted friend pretend to be Creepy Guy and practice the response you think would be most helpful ("Leave me alone," "Get the hell away from me," "Do not EVER put your hands on me again," etc.) I do think rehearsal might help you.

You could do a similar role-playing thing with your daughter, and have her practice the responses that you think would be most helpful in a similar situation.

"No" doesn't always protect us, but the knowledge that we do not have to be nice to people who are scaring us is a really good start. Have you read The Gift of Fear? I found it illuminating and helpful; it goes well beyond the formula "carry a whistle and walk with a friend" sorts of advice that you get from many sources. Protecting the Gift, by the same author, talks about protecting our children and is also very helpful.

Anonymous said...

Teach her to be direct, frosty, but to NEVER use foul language when deterring unwanted advances.
"Take your hands off me" works better than "take your [insert expletive here] hands off me."

For some reason, and I don't like it, but it's true, men will treat a 'cussing woman' worse than they will one who doesn't in this circumstance. Most, but not all, men, can be shamed and something clicks in them that says 'this is a nice girl, and I can't do this to a nice girl.' The cuss words just give them an excuse to think you're being a bitch and degrade you more.

Any men care to weigh in on this phenomenon?

Anonymous said...

I will tell you in part what it is is the whole "free sex" thing...somehow people thought that having sex anywhere, anytime with whomever would not have repercussions. its like the feminists who deny the reality that "choice" is no choice for a lot of women who wind up bullied by everyone close to them into having an abortion because it has been rammed down societies throat as the responsible thing to do for so many years and no one (actually thats not so..many are in fact) questioning this whole sex outside of bounds of marriage having no societal repercussions.

Anonymous said...

with the cussing thing, yes thats exactly it. because they hear the cussing and they think this is a slut who really wants it, she has demeaned herself and reaps the results. the girl who is not cussing, displaying some class, yeah, they figure they will treat her like a lady because she is acting like one.
maybe Katie gets this because she flaunts her potty mouth and her drinking prowess???? its just the sort of thing that attracts predatorial men and scares off nice ones.