Friday

sea 7 states

Recently, on my WBIR blog, I asked folks to name what they believed to be the best Knoxville rock and roll bands ever. One of my picks was Sea 7 States, and a lot of other people agreed.

I was a big fan of this band in my first two years at UTK. In fact, I accidentally stumbled into some huge outdoor party in an alley they were playing in Fort Sanders on my very first night in Knoxville, when I literally knew NO ONE, and had such a good time that I knew I'd like it here.

I also had a massive crush on Philip Wolff, one of the guys in the band, but I am pretty sure he never knew I existed.

In any event, they were really good. I assumed they would get signed to a major label, but they ddn't and the band members all went on to grown up lives.

Recently, I found out that their songs have been remastered and are available on a CD from Auntie Grizelda Records, and I am getting a copy (Thanks Kevin). I'm really looking forward to it and will let you know how it sounds whe it arrives. Then you can order your own copy. Kevin Crothers at Auntie Grizelda can apparently also send you stuff from other Knox bands you might have enjoyed in years past, like The Homeboys, Awfully Anglo and Everything Tool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sort of doubt he didn't know who you were since you were the music reviewer and political columnist for the college newspaper and you worked at the only record store on campus.

I was a classmate and I knew who you were even if you didn't know who I was. Your photo was on your column every week.