Friday

jane pratt

I love Jane Pratt. I've loved Jane Pratt since I was a young thing reading Sassy magazine, and I was a reader who gew up with her and followed her to her namesake mag, Jane in 1997.


JP the person is a few years older than I am, but she always seemed to get what I would be thinking and talking about -- and wearing -- before any other magazine editrix.


I didn't love everything about Janemag -- for starters, the magazine rarely acknowledged that anyone in their demographic could be a mother AND still love music and art and politics and great shoes -- but I still remained a loyalist to Jane Pratt's voice and aesthetic, which defines Janemag.. I mean, before there was an "O" magazine or a "Rosie" magazine, there was Jane.


(Plus, Knoxvillian Shelly Ridenour is a writer for Janemag, which makes me like the magazine even more.)


So I was shocked and dismayed (love that term) to hear that Pratt is leaving Janemag. It made no sense. I wondered what the real story might be and according to Folio, JP was actually pushed out.


Well, I'll follow her wherever she lands, so best of luck to her.


(And yes, I am indeed a magazine junkie, and no, the fact that my daughter is named Jane is just a coincidence.)

No comments: