Wednesday

diapering

NewBaby will not have a real nursery because we'll have her sleep in our room for the first year or two. I would like a nice sling, and maybe a new stroller, but I really don't need that much baby stuff...okay, okay, I'll admit to loving adorable baby girl clothing. But seriously, I am not that hung up on getting baby STUFF beyond the basics, which we will need to stock up on since it's been 10 years since E. was born.

But I have to admit that I have become rather excited by picking out a new supply of....cloth diapers.

Yes, I am a dork.

I cloth diapered my last two children most of the time, and we did invest in some nice FITTED CLOTH FLANNEL DIAPERS and two DIFFERENT KINDS of ALL IN ONE diapers. They all worked very well (though almost all are handed down or gone now, 10 years later). I have already. ordered some of that same brand of flannel fitteds for NewBaby.

But it seems that in the past decade, the number of types of cloth diapers available for we cloth diaper-ers has grown by leaps and bounds. And they are all available to order online, something that was just beginning to be an option when E. was a baby.

So I've ordered a few samples, and I'm thinking my new cloth diaper stash is gonna consist of:

-MOSTLY THESE

-with some of THESE BAMBOO ONES

-and at least 12 of these THESE ALL-IN-ONES.

All three of these are the best of the samples I've ordered, and they actually come in true newborn sizes (most "newborn" size cloth diapers are actually better suited to a 3 month old).

As for diaper covers (needed on diapers that are not all-in-ones), when my last kids were babies, my favorite brand was Biobottoms, but they have apparently since gone out of business. Fleece seems to be the new, favorite diaper-cover material, something that wasn't available ten years ago. I think I'll order a few OF THESE, and I still like good, old fashioned PULL-ON PANTS

(And as an aside, is there some law mandating that all cloth diapers have to have such ridiculously cutesy brand names??)

19 comments:

nyjlm said...

I loved my kissaluvs. Great, great diaper.

My youngest has been out of diapers for three years and I couldn't help ogling the diapers at a parenting conference this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Do they no longer sell regular cloth diapers (roughly 2 ft. by 3 ft.) like my mother and sister used?

I remember when I had my 2nd, I considered cloth diapering, and all I could find were these ridiculously expensive cloth diapers that actually came in sizes. I would have thought one advantage to cloth was that you never had to worry about the size; you just folded the diaper to fit the baby. (And, yes, I've done plenty of diaper-folding; I'm the eldest of 6 kids who were all cloth-diapered. My mother passed the diaper-folding duties along to us older 3 as soon as #4 came along.)

Dawn said...

I wrote a diaper review when we were waiting for our next baby and got to start out with a bunch of nifty new diapers. I LOVED the kissaluvs and the fleece wraps are dandy. They stretch around skinny babies and stretch for fat babies, too, so the sizes are forgiving. Flat diapers are swell and easy but the fitted ones are an awful lot of fun.

(Madison spent a lot of time without pants on to show off her cute wraps, too.)

Anonymous said...

Clisby they do have the diapers you're talking about available, as well as "prefolds" which are the same concept except the layers are already folded together and sewn around the edges to make a smaller, thicker rectangle shaped diaper.

I definitely recommend prefolds to new moms, they are much less expensive than fitted. Also Bummis Super Whisper Wraps last forever and don't leak. May not be as cute as the more expensive, boutique type diapers but after all, they're just going to pee and poop on them right? :)

Julie said...

I have some prefolds, too and will definitely be using those.

Anonymous said...

Please let me send you some of my kissaluvs. Some haven't been worn at all, and I would love to send them to someone who needs them.

Julie said...

Valerie - I'll buy them from you! E-mail me at kagranju@gmail.com

-Katie

Dee said...

Good choices. We are going to try to get some kissaluvs for fitteds and bummies and baby soft whisper wrap covers. I used bumkins AIOs on my son but they never worked on the breastfed poop. I want to invest in some wool covers this time too. I'm going to use disposables for the first week or so until he/she fits into smalls just because we can't afford a newborn stash that will just last a month or so. I love love love shopping for cloth diapers. I encourage you to check out www.wigglewormbottoms.com. I love the girl who runs it and the diapers are OH so cute! I used those last time too and NEVER had a leak.

Dee said...

BTW those "Do they no longer sell regular cloth diapers (roughly 2 ft. by 3 ft.) like my mother and sister used?" are called flats and lots of people still use them. I think there is nothing cuter than a baby with a flat pinned on!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know you can buy flat diapers - but (at least when I was looking) they were square, or almost square. I was looking for the traditional kind.

Dee said...

Oh I figured it was flats since that is why my Mom used on me. She did say that some of hers seemed rectangular shaped instead of square but she couldn't be forsure.

Anonymous said...

Happy Heinys and Fuzzi Bunz! Pocket diapers are the way to go!

Julie said...

I don't like the pocket diapers. Too much trouble.

As for pinning, I tried that when Henry was a baby and I kept stabbing my baby! I like the snaps and velcro ;-)

Of course, with diaper covers, you can just fold the diaper in thirds and lay it in the cover and then fasten it up with the cover. Tres simple. I will definitely use some flat diapers along with my fancier ones.

Anonymous said...

"As for pinning, I tried that when Henry was a baby and I kept stabbing my baby! I like the snaps and velcro ;-)"

You are supposed to put your other hand between the baby and the diaper. Then YOU get stabbed.

Anonymous said...

Leslie - I have to agree about the non-issue of diaper pins. I was 7 years old when I first pinned a diaper on a baby (brother #2), and it just ain't that hard.

Julie said...

Y'all must just be less clumsy than I am. I was unable to do pins. Seriously, I was a threat to myself and others.

Anonymous said...

http://cutietooties.com/

Was at Earth Day today--very nice & has pick up.

Anonymous said...

I used "snappis" instead of pins, you can check them out at any cloth diapering website. They worked great when my son was smaller!

Anonymous said...

I just received my "stash" of cloth diapers and washed a few different ones. I ordered 12 of the fitted kissaluvs and am having a bit of buyer's remorse. I am wondering what the advantage is to having them over AIOs since they have to have a cover. My baby is 3 months now so maybe it is just they are so bulky compared to the pre-folds. But, I also have a hard time spending money on things so if anyone feels up to giving me feedback on why I should keep them that would be GREAT!