Tuesday

superweird burglary update

Major, superweird update:

So I never got hold of the cops yesterday and my phone kept ringing. They would hang up when I answered. I also got a few text messages for someone named "Kyera."

Last night I was at my sister's and the phone rang. I decided to let my son answer it and see if he could get the person to talk. So he answers it with "Yo, whassup?"

Wonder of wonders, the girl on the other end starts chatting with him (after asking for "Kyera") and after a moment he asks if she willtalk to someone else. She says sure and he hands the phone to me.

So I launch into my spiel about how I know she knows she's calling a number for a stolen phone and how I'm a single mom without a lot of money and all I want is my stuff back. I explained how my kids' baby pictures, etc had been on my laptop, blah, blah, blah. She hesitated just a minute before spilling her guts and telling me that the thief is her friend Kyera's no-good boyfriend, who only uses Kyera because she will drive him around to rip off houses. She gives me the guy's first name, his cell phone #and tells me where he pawns the stuff he steals. I thank her profusely and hang up, amazed.

So I called the cops and they said to call my investigator back in the morning, so I say I will.

Then my phone begins ringing incessantly from "restricted" numbers; clearly the girlfriend's buddy has tipped off the thief, who is now freaking out. He calls me every three minutes for thirty minutes, then begins text messaging me increasingly threatening messages.

So I called 911 (the guy knows where I live, after all) and ask an officer to come by the house, which he does. I explain the situation (the phone is rininging while the cop is IN my house. He even answered it once, but of course the burglar hung up). The cop says it's highly unlikely the burglar will come bu the house, but says he will have my house put on a special watch overnight. This sounds fine to me, but my children are now freaking out. It is very unnerving to have your phone ringing over and over and someone texting you scary messages.

My daughter asks to be taken to my sister's to spend the night, but the boys say they "aren't leaving Mom!!" (adorable, misplaced chivalry). So I take Jane to Betsy's and the boys and I come back home and finally get ready for bed. Henry decides to sleep on a pallet on the floor next to my bed clutching his pellet gun and a hunting knife. Eight year old Elliot climbs in my bed with his lacrosse stick (yes, I slept all night with a squirmy second grader and a large LAX stick). Elliot falls asleep quickly, so Henry and I settle in the living room to watch the and of the Golden Globes.

SO we're sitting there watching TV and I'm knitting when the dogs start barking like crazy. I walk in the front room and there IS A MAN WITH A LARGE METAL PIPE STANDING ON MY PORCH!!! I stared at him and he stared at me and then he took off into the pouring rain. So I called 911 again and the cops came back and this time, they park a patrol car on our street overnight.

The guy never came back and stopped calling and hopefully, we will get started on getting him arrested today. Plus, I hope my stuff is at this pawn shop.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is weird and scary. It seems at this point the police would have enough to go after the guy now that you are being directly and physically threatened (stalked, even.)

Anonymous said...

Katie- you do get into the most amazing situations- not that this is your fault but OMG- how freaky. My house was robbed a few years back and they took my computer, cordless phone, answering machine, some rings ( my old wedding band among others- no great loss there) The next worry is how long before they decide you might have gotten replacements for the stuff and it's time to come back- at least they know boys or young men with lots of big sticks live in your house. My thief was in my closet (so knows I live alone) Even stole my pillow cases to carry the loot.That bugged me as much as anything- they were around my bed! and left me with sheets w/o cases.

Just be careful- this guy sounds nuts!

Anonymous said...

As thieves go, this guy doesn't strike me as the top of the evolutionary robber food chain...

Anonymous said...

Yikes. I'd ask the police to have a patrol car outside your house for a few more nights. This might help:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-116phonerecords,0,6472440.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Kizz said...

Isn't it amazing that despite knowing that the thief knows where you live and that you have his identity and are passing it along to the police the police can't/don't/won't do anything substantive until your specific investigator returns to work the following day?
Glad you've got a shot at getting this guy nabbed and getting your stuff back.

Anonymous said...

I think it is time to have one of your guy friends sleep over for a couple of nights also. Do you have any big, burly friends who wear spiked collars and lots of tattoos? Seriously, be CAREFUL!!!Maybe you could borrow a large dog who barks and snarls.

KCB said...

Delurking to say holy cr*p, woman! I hope that by the time I'm writing this the police have managed to get it in gear enough to take action.

Stay safe, and please let us know if they catch the guy.