Monday

annoying

I went to the post office earlier today to mail some CDs. Two of the CDs were in plastic cases and one was not. It was in a sleeve because I was plumb out of jewel cases. All 3 were in bubbly envelope thingies.

So I hand the three envelopes to the PO woman to put the postage on them and she starts shaking the lightest one - the one in only a sleeve (but still in protective envelope). She informs me that she cannot accept that one because she can tell it's a CD and it will be destroyed in the mail. I told her I doubted this - the envelope is pretty thick - but she insisted. So I told her I didn't care; if it got smashed up, I'd just send another copy. No biggie. She still says she won't take it.

She tells me I can either take it home and repackage it in a plastic CD case or use a video box she has handy. So I opt for the latter. But when she pulls it out, this handy box is like, the size of a VHS tape for this single CD. And I told her that the recipient lives in an aprtment and it probably won't fit in his postbox. But she repeats firmly that she will not accept it as mail unless I put it in this stupid box. So finally I gave in. She seemed really riled about the whole thing, too.

And that single CD in that ridiculous box was a big waste of cardboard and my time.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Post Office? Annoying? With rude employees? Who ever heard of such a thing?

Anonymous said...

There use to be this one postal clerk at the branch I go to that gave me shit about the tape I used on packages (what kind, how much of it I used, etc.). There was no pleasing the man. Finally, I wrapped a small package up like a freakin' mummy with clear packing tape. Try as he might, he couldnt' find anything to bitch about. Made my day.

mamamarta said...

this is absurd. netflix and blockbuster both send what must be millions of cds in the mail with just a thin paper envelope. personally, i would complain.

KS said...

I mail CD's in paper sleeves all the time. Nobody has ever refused them. Just make sure it can't move around in the envelope.

Lisa said...

The post office is stupid.

Anonymous said...

The best part about all the post office um, offices I"ve been to? You go at at lunch time . . . and lo and behold, they're all at lunch too, leaving one guy at the counter. Hmm. Then again, Target just teases me with thousands of checkout counters, and one 15 year old earning her cellphone money.

Anonymous said...

You also sent them to different addresses at different times, so the third one arrived before the first one, disturbing my sense of order.

Julie said...

Ah, but you see, that was my goal. You actuarial types who live alone with no one but a cat to mess up your living space need your sense of order messed with more often.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Why are you sending CD's to an actuary who lives alone with a cat?

Julie said...

Because, Jimmy, I luuuuuuv him ;-)

(You are goading me. I know this. I will goad back.)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, right Katie is digging an actuary with a cat. This is her sister's great hope but not reality. Too normal.

Julie said...

He's a very strange guy, actually.

Anonymous said...

Wait. Netflix sends thousands of DVDs out every day that are not in any kind of protective envelope.