Wednesday

dear burglar,

Dear Burglar,

Perhaps you thought, when you came in my house yesterday and took my stuff, that I could easily replace it. Maybe you thought it wasn't that big a deal to take my laptop, for example, which you will no doubt sell for $100 somewhere so you can get high.

Well, you are wrong. My ENTIRE FUCKING LIFE was on that computer. I am a writer. This is how I EARN A LIVING. You have taken my notes for work in progress, half a completed novel, hundreds of family photos, and at least $1000 in digital music you will never listen to unless you are a big Neko Case fan, which I seriously doubt.

And I also want to tell you that the thought of you inside my house has inspired a primal, not-very-peaceful violent rage in me that I can't remember ever feeling before. If I had come in while you were there, I believe I would have been driven to beat you to death with the lacrosse stick propped near my front door. That's how out-of-control mad I would have been to see you in my home, near my children's toys and beds and bedrooms, with your scummy hands on my belongings.

Just thought you would want to know how I am feeling this morning,

Catherine Brittain Allison Granju

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn.Sorry to hear that, Katie.

And yeah, I sure wouldn't want to be facing down a screaming KAG with a lacrosse stick in her hands. Yikes.

- Steve K.

Barry Wallace said...

We had a similar entry a couple months back, but nothing near your experience. I'm so sorry you've lost your laptop, and hope it will be found. And I'm very glad you or your kids weren't hurt..

Anonymous said...

My car was stolen and stripped of every usable part a year and a half ago. I still feel very violated and angry. I can't imagine how I'd feel if someone stole my computer with photos and manuscripts on it, not to mention breaking into my house...much worse than a stolen car. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, that sucks but I am glad that you weren't home when it happened.

I'm assuming that you reported it?

Anonymous said...

If there's anything I can do, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Randall directed me to this site as he told me of your break-in. I want to express how sorry I am that this happened to you and your family. Also, let me echo the sentiments of the other good folks on here and say thank goodness nobody was home.
becky napier

Anonymous said...

sounds like it might be time to look up your "good cop.":)