Monday

parenting

Lately I feel like the primary discipline of my parenting is to NOT react. One of my children tends to get very gloomy and whiny and my tendency is to want to tell him all the time that he needs to cheer up, look on the bright side, etc. But that's no good.

And my daughter - previously the sunniest, friendliest person in my world -- is entering a phase where she informs me that I am wrong and misguided a lot of the time. And she lets me know this via a tone she's never used with me before. And I find myself reacting negatively.

So what I'm really trying to do lately is just step back and not react, unless one of them tells me to fuck off or something, in which case I'd find it hard not to fuss at them. I am backing off commenting on the way in which they say things or the tone they use or the mood they are expressing.

It's hard, because I am a "fixer" by nature. I tend to want to control every detail of my environment and by extension, their environment. But I'm trying to let it go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to parenting adolescents...

Anonymous said...

My parents (I have no kids) said they were willing to discuss anything and everything if I used a respectful tone. Which also meant they had to use a respectful tone when they spoke to me. Some paents really fail on that one and are shocked when they realize how the speak to their children.

My mother was also famous for the line "well when you're the mother you can do as you like. For now, I'm the mother."

One thing I will NOT tolerate from young people is a disrespectful tone. If I encounter it, I tell them to come back when they can speak civilly. Since they generally need something from me, I'm holding the cards...and they have to respond.

Anonymous said...

My 12-year-old boy has taken to heaving an exasperated sigh when reminded to do chores or practice music. That sounds so negative to me!

As a toddler he was taught to say "No, Ma'm, I prefer not to," instead of "NO!" So I've had to remind him to say that now. It is much preferable to hear, "I'd like to, but I have other plans," or "I'm tired and need some down time," as an adult would say.

BTW, he usually does what he is asked to do, especially after feeling empowered by telling me about his hopes and plans. But I'd rather hear the polite truth than the exasperated sigh before he does it.

Anonymous said...

My 12-year-old boy has taken to heaving an exasperated sigh when reminded to do chores or practice music. That sounds so negative to me!

As a toddler he was taught to say "No, Ma'm, I prefer not to," instead of "NO!" So I've had to remind him to say that now. It is much preferable to hear, "I'd like to, but I have other plans," or "I'm tired and need some down time," as an adult would say.

BTW, he usually does what he is asked to do, especially after feeling empowered by telling me about his hopes and plans. But I'd rather hear the polite truth than the exasperated sigh before he does it.