Thursday

the dentist

I took most of today off to take my two youngest children to the dentist. Jane did just fine with her dental work. All she had done today was sealants put on (she finally has enough permanent teeth to do this). She's a trooper and never complains and has a very high pain tolerance. Once, when she was 6, she had to have an emergency root canal (she has really problematic teeth) while traveling in France with her grandparents and apparently she hopped up in the chair, followed the dentist's instructions in French perfectly and never made a peep of complaint.

Elliot, on the other hand, is a little iffy with medical procedures. I believe this is because he spent his first three weeks of life in an oxygen tent, with an IV in his tiny noggin (that's where they put it in newborns) and a tube up his nose. He went on to have several other major medical problems in his toddler years -- and they were not pleasant.

He hasn't had any health problems since then - and he's in second grade now - but he's wary of the entire medical world.

Because of Elliot's fears, when I chose this new dentist off my new dental insurance plan, I was sure to explain that I wanted a dentist who would allow me to stay with my children during any procedures, if the kid wanted me to. "Oh yes," they assured me on the phone. "No problem."

So today we went in for his first visit there with me (his father took him the last time). They inform me -- in a scary tone right in front of this visibly wan, frightened looking little kid - that he needs a cap on one tooth and maybe two baby teeth pulled and that it will hurt, so they will be giving him a shot in the roof of his mouth. Oh, and by the way, I will need to leave him in the examining room and wait in the waiting room.

At that point, Elliot burst into sobs and clung to me like a baby monkey. I tried to calm him down and explained to the dentist that I expected to be able to stay with him and that perhaps she could reassure him that it wouldn't be that bad. She replied as if I were an utter idiot and told me that NO MOTHER should want to stay with a child getting dental work done. I told her that our last dentist had no problem with it; in fact, in years past, I had nursed my children there while having my own teeth worked on. This dentist was having none of it, though, and by this time, tears were just streaming down Elliot's face.

So I told her we would need to look into coming back another day and she said that she belives Elliot will need to be sedated to have the work done (since she can see him trembling and weeping on my lap). Great. Before she got him all freaked out, I don't think he WOULD have needed to be sedated. So she gave me the names of a couple of dentists who offer sedation for freaked out young dental patients, and we left. Nothing was accomplished and my day taken off work was sort of wasted. And I am annoyed.

Poor Elliot is now very apprehensive about going back to the dentist at all.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! What a terrible bedside manner! Did you tell the dentist that the nurse/receptionist/whatever scared your kid and didn't follow through with the policy you discussed on the phone?
I hope you can find a dentist who makes Elliot feel good about going.

I'm so glad you are sensitive to the differences in your kids, and didn't expect Elliot to act like Jane.

The Wonderful Wonderful World Of Us! said...

I agree...poor bedside manners! Could she have left out in the beginning that "it would hurt." Hello...he's a child!!! Poor lil guy!
I hope your able to find a more kid friendly dentist...good luck!

Anonymous said...

Kate,
It is extremely to Elliot's future dental health that you find a Dentist that you are both comfortable with. My child had a bad experience with Dentist, whose assistant kept tightening the "nose" even after my child complained that it was too tight! She had a bruise the next day, and when the receptionist called me to schedule another appointment I told her we wouldn't be coming back, ever. Then I found a Dentist who is wonderful! He understands that sometimes kids need time, space, and sometimes it's not going to happen. In the mean time, you did the right thing to insist on being present if Elliot needed you!

Anonymous said...

you need to go see the wonderful, laid-back dr. harry christenberry. he's really cheap, too, even if he's not on your dental plan.

Lisa said...

Sounds like an awful place and I'd never go back! I think it is criminal to ban parents from staying with frightened children during a procedure!

Anonymous said...

I use to go to Dr. Christenberry. I've had better shot givers, but basically he's a good dentist and a nice person.

Anonymous said...

Luke, my youngest, has very weak teeth, and on his first trip to the dentist for a cleaning and exam, the dentist found 4 cavities that needed filling. We set up the appointment, and Luke seemed fine with it, no worries, right up until the point where the dentist said they were going to start drilling.

Even though they already had him on nitrous, he started moaning and crying in near terror that "he didn't want this." I was right there by his side, and was trying to calm him down, but I wasn't sure what had set him off. As the dentist and I both tried to talk him down, I picked up on the fact that his entire body tensed every time the word "drill" was used.

Suddenly, I made a connection. Luke liked to sit in the garage and watch me work with wood, and he'd seen me use a drill and a drill press many times. He's also seen pieces I've been drilling bind up and kick back, and smelled the smoke when a particularly tough piece starts scorching. It dawned on me that he must have thought the dentist was going to pull out a monster drill and start wailing away on his teeth with it.

I asked him if that's what was scaring him, and he nodded his head tearfully. I had the dentist show him the actual drill, and Luke immediately relaxed. Once he saw how small it was, he wasn't worried anymore.

He still didn't like it, but the terror was gone.

Anonymous said...

Katie,

Angela Burns from our Webb school days is a practising dentist in Knoxville. You should look her up.

Chrissy

Anonymous said...

Dr. John Webber gets my vote. The nicest man on the planet!

Anonymous said...

What a horrible way to treat Elliot.

My daughter also has very problem teeth. She'll be 4 in June and just last year she has some pretty major work done including an extraction and two crowns.

I'll be happy to pass on our FANTASTIC pediatric dentist here in the Atlanta area if you want to come down this way for treatment :)

Anonymous said...

Are you looking for a Dentist Lexington Kentucky in your area? If so here is a fantastic resource for local listings related to Dentist Lexington Kentucky with information, locations, articles and more..Check it out here...http://www.sanford-dds.com

Anonymous said...

Good comments. But, I do not agree with most of them. People sure have a lot of time on their hands.

Anonymous said...

I know several other readers that will love this blog. Hey man you have a really insane blog here. Perhaps you will find my blog interesting.