Thursday

I've only been dating again (since my divorce, three years ago) for about 18 months now. I gave myself about 18 months before that to get over the break up before so much as having coffee with someone. That was a good plan on my part. But for the past year and a half or so, I've been dating various folks.

SOme of it has been fun. Some of it has been notably, hilariously awful. One of the best things that's happened is I made a very good new friend: Dr. Neighbor. We started out dating last winter, but realized after a month or so that we were actually meant to be really good. platonic friends. And so we are. (He actually has a newish girlfriend at the moment who seems absolutely great.)

Dr. Neighbor is the kind of wonderful guy friend every single woman needs in her life. He takes very good care of me, even when I am being petulant or brooding or difficult. He never holds these spells against me. Recently, I was being very petulant and brooding and difficult because I was in the process of desperately trying to make a relationship that clearly wasn't meant to work, work. Then I was brooding and cranky because it ended in a very weird, inexplicable way that I still don't completely understand. (The good news is I no longer have any interest in figuring it out. It's very fucked up, but not because of anything I did except believe everything I was told without question. That was, I discovered, not a good plan.)

This week, Dr. Neighbor gifted me with a hilarious book. I read it last night and now I am even less interested in figuring out why my recent first-foray-into-having-a-real-boyfriend went so horribly awry and ended so bizarrely. It was just the sort of silly, "you go girl!" thing I needed to read.

I heart Dr. Neighbor. I hope I can find someone just like him and have amazing NON-platonic chemistry with him and fall madly in love with him.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened with the boyfriend? Inquiring blog readers want to know.

Anonymous said...

What about that guy I met you with when we were at Bonnarroo. He seeemd cool.

Anonymous said...

That is truly a relationship to cherish.

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE BOOK HE GAVE YOU?

Julie said...

Question #1: It just didn't work out. I care about him a great deal and hope he is doing well, and is happy and healthy in every way.

Question #2: That's a very good question ;-)(and he is supercool. a very good guy.)

Question #3: "It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken"

Anonymous said...

I agree you should cherish that, but I also agree that the guy at bonaroo was the coolest I can remember meeting as well, and the smartest, best looking and he smelled nice too, had good manners and always said the right things, and seemed to have a reasonably good relationship with Jesus.

Julie said...

Gosh, you think so? I think by the last day of Bonnaroo he smelled pretty bad.

He does seem to be on Jesus' good side, though. I'll give him that.

Julie said...

I just realized that anon #2 may have meant Roman, my photog at Bonnaroo instead of QMM, my sidekick. And anon #2, is that you, R.B.? Or David O....?

My sister likes the Bonnaroo sidekick better than anyone else I've dated. He amuses her.

Anonymous said...

he was also getting a little testy if I recall, overripe..

yes it couldve been photog. now, he really did smell nice

Anonymous said...

You're better off now! (Of course you already know that.)

Good guy friends are worth their weight in gold. I have several, although we haven't been as close lately as in the past. But yeah. I heart good guy friends for their ability to feed your ego in a very healthy way.

Anonymous said...

Well Betsy generally knows what's best for you, Kate.

Anonymous said...

You know what I think, K.

Q just hasn't figured this out yet, but I think he will eventually.

Anonymous said...

Why do people say 'gifted me with' when 'gave me' works perfectly well? I'm surprised at you, Katie! I thought you loved language. "Gifted" is an abomination in the eyes of English teachers everywhere!

Anonymous said...

Why do people say 'gifted me with' when 'gave me' works perfectly well?

Anonymous said...

I think we can clear this up with a Christmas example. At Christmas I "re-gifted" many things to people who thought they were original gifts. Perhaps Katie meant to say "gifted me" because the presents are of dubious origin.

Julie said...

No, no. I just thought "gifted" fit the tone. It's like criticizing what shade of green I chose to paint a picture of some trees.

And Betsy does NOT always know what's best for me, although she thinks she does. Along with the other Betsy in my life, Betsy B.K., I have two Betsys who think they know best.

OK, sometimes you guys know best. BUT NOT ALWAYS. You dig, Betsy and Betsy?

Anonymous said...

I liked that guy when I met him at your birthday outing. You should bring him around more often, Katie.

Julie said...

Well, he lives 200 miles away, so...

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend and I live more than 200 miles apart and it works fine. Now we're working on moving to the same city, but we've been dating for two year living in different cities for our jobs. Not a problem unless you make it one. In some ways, it works better.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Neighbor needs a woman? Me thinks he goes the other way...