Friday

the james frey fracas

I write a lot of personal essays that get published, for which I am paid money. For several years, I made most of my writing income on personal essays.

Last May, I had my most personal of personal essays published in the NYT. It was about my divorce and the custody disagreement I dealt with. I worked really hard on it and it was edited very thoroughly by the good folks at the NY Times. It was the truth, and it didn't cast me or the other primary player in the event in the most flattering light, because divorces are messy, nasty affairs.

But it was the truth.

Immediately after it was published, my ex contacted me to tell me that he couldn't imagine why I had published this passel of complete lies. I was flabbergasted. He told me that, in his opinion, several of the incidents I described literally NEVER occurred and that others were embellished. He continues to hold this opinion.

So here's where it stands: I will tell you unequivocally that every word in that essay is true and he will tell you it's made up.

Who is right?

Well, in the case of the stuff that's in our legal filings, it's easy enough to track down the truth, should someone want to. But in the case of conversations we had that were without witnesses, he remembers some of them one way and I remember them another way.

Just as each of us would tell you different reasons why our marriage ended, each of us will recall different details/versions of how the break-up went down.

I have accepted that his story is different than mine. The one he tells people probably isn't the same one I tell and I've let go of feeling that I have a right or need to "set the record straight." It's his life and he owns his own story. He can tell it however and whenever and to whomever he chooses.

But I also own my own story. In fact, I am at work on a book about it. As I am writing, I am constantly aware of the importance of telling the truth while balancing sensitivity to the feelings of other people who have played a role in my story.

This is how I can't understand how James Frey thought he could get away with his HUGE lies in his book "A Million Little Pieces." In his case, there is no disgruntled ex claiming details of certain conversations played out differently than they did. That would be different. Frey somehow thought he could make up things like an 3 month prison sentence and get away with it.

Memoirists are going to piss people off becausem if they do their job right, they tell the truth about things that others remember differently. People are going to nitpick details and nuances. There is no way a a memoirist can get away with Really Big Lies when the story will necessarily have those who lived it with them picking it apart over even the tiniest details.

I am nervous that Frey's lies have suddenly chilled the market for those of us who write creative nonfiction/memoir. That would be tragic, because people telling their own stories is an integral part of human communication. It's how we make sense of our lives, by telling our own stories and listening to others'.

And as I have said before: Hey guys! Listen up! If you don't want to end up in her art, don't sleep with an artist. I think sometimes men like the idea of being with a woman who paints or plays guitar or writes unless and until she creates work that portrays him in a way that isn't as he sees himself.

9 comments:

mamamarta said...

is there any way to read that article about your divorce?

haven't read the james frey book, but i agree it will be a shame if it puts a damper on memior.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid that you might correct--James Frey may have killed the genre memoir as we know it.

The scariest part of this? Blogs and blog comments are split right down the middle between "Oprah is a mean lady to pick on that poor man" and "he's a liar; how could he?"
The "acceptance of the lies because the message still touches me" scares the daylights out of me.

Anonymous said...

Robert Evans, a Hollywood producer, once said "There's my side, your side, and the truth." Writers have always bent the truth when writing their memoirs.

Truth is no longer important. You can see the trend of being "truthful" or "real" in all of the reality shows, all of the gossip stories that comes from Hollywood, news media, and the government. If you say it and it's recorded, it's truth no matter what.

James Frey set out to tell a lie. He didn't bend the truth he broke it. Then he made a crapload of money off of it. He's not sorry and doesn't pretend to be. Why should he? He got away with it.

I don't think he's killed the memoir. There will always be an interest in the dirty laundry of others. The only way the memoir would die would be if it didn't make any money.

Anonymous said...

Interesting how many people still believe there is "a truth" out there (to be discovered, to be distilled)..a "truth" that is somehow separate from individual experience. The only truth is the story that we tell. When our truths don't jive, the most we can do is have a conversation about what we remember, tell these stories to each other, and perhaps negotiate a common understanding. We rarely take the time or have the patience to do this.

Anonymous said...

I pledge my word of honor......the mores we grew up with are fading fast. I can see that changing names or details of suicide "to protect the innocent" might be one thing but this book could have been titled " A million big, fat lies". Is anything in the book uncontested? He keeps maintaining his "story" was true. I wonder if the publisher will have to refund $ to readers before this is all over.

Anonymous said...

Kate, We all watched the person you were married to deny your reality for your entire 20's. You are now learning to take back your own life and that include's your life's story. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

I think sometimes men like the idea of being with a woman who paints or plays guitar or writes unless and until she creates work that portrays him in a way that isn't as he sees himself.

Interesting that you exclusively assign this behavior to "men" rather than people in general. Women, of course, would not be upset to have their part in a relationship wrongly (at least in their view) characterized in song, verse, or prose.

- Steve K.

Julie said...

No, you're right, Steve. This isn't a gender issue. I just only have experience with a man not liking it and the people I am interviewing right now about the topic are also women. But it's not about gender.

thewriterslife said...

Wow, you know, I believe you might be right about the chill on the memoir market because of the James Frey incident. It's weird because despite what has happened with him...and I hear his agent just dropped him...I started a memoir yesterday, forgetting completely about the market. I have found my dad and thought it would make a pretty neat story but dang...maybe by the time it's published, things will be half-forgotten...I certainly hope so. BTW, my memoir is nothing but the whole truth unless someone comes along and says no, it happened this way...you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Dorothy
Boomer Chick: Musings of an Over the Hill Chick

My Homepage