Monday

home

Before I got divorced, I worked from home most of the time. I traveled some for assignments, etc, but I mostly worked from home as a freelance writer. My husband worked at a "real" job. We both helped support our family.

The best part about this arrangement was the the children and I had plenty of unhurried, no-pressure time at home.

These days, I work 50 hours a week and have no husband at home to help. The children are at their father's house about 40% of the time. We very often do not get home after school/work/after school activities until 7:-7:30 pm. And this is one area of my life that I feel is not working well. We are just rarely hanging out at home gardening, cleaning, playing, making a home together.

We need more time to just veg out at home, with no plan, no agenda. I need more time to clean and organize and even cook some (yes, I coook a little and I like it a lot better when I'm not trying to feed three tired children at 8 pm after having been at work since 7 am.

Optimally, one person in a family should be based at home. This can be mother, father or even paid nanny, but somebody should be able to stay at home and keep the mothership humming along.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This seems old-fashioned to me.

Anonymous said...

People can share these duties; we're finding that out at our house. I was always the one who kept 'home' running for the most part for years. These days the dh is doing most of it. But I still keep the running list in my head of stuff like 'we're almost out of laundry detergent and cereal' and 'in May we have x,y, z obligations.' He's scooping out the kitty boxes, doing the dishes, mowing, paying the bills, etc. You just have to divide and conquer. I think the teenager and the middle child are old enough to start taking over some basic chores; maybe they could help with something like keeping the running grocery list and doing the laundry.
But it is really hard. And old-fashioned or not, we should do what we can to keep 'home' a home.

Lisa said...

I agree with you.

karrie said...

I also agree, and fail to see how this could be construed as old-fashioned in a negative sense? Afterall, she did say it could be father, nanny, etc.

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»