Thursday

jane can cook



Originally uploaded by kgranju.
As those who know me can attest, my kitchen skilss are, uhhhhh, negligible. Strangeley, my mother and grandmother cook well, but I never learned. My mom mostly shooed me out of the kitchen (because she was slammed all the time). Plus, it's just never interested me that much.

But Jane's father is a good cook and so is her paternal grandmother, with whom she spends a lot of time, and also her paternal Uncle Nick is a chef. So the cooking gene is there.

Yesterday Jane announced she had seen someone making bruschetta on The Food Network at her grandmother's house (we don't have cable) and said she wanted to make it for dinner. So we went to the Food Co-Op and she bought the stuff she needed and proceeded to make very tasty bruschetta (french bread, olive oil, basil, tomatoes, mozzarella), including a good dipping sauce she made up.

I was so impressed! It was really, really good. I want to encourage any interest any of the children have in cooking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zan loves cooking. He makes up recipes, some of which are actually good, and he loves taking his Emeril cookbook to his various schools to get the teachers to make stuff out of it.

He told us a couple years ago he's going to open a restaurant called Taste Test, where he'll bring around little free samples of everything on the menu for people to taste before they order.

Maybe we could get the two of them to cook together sometime.

- Steve K.

Anonymous said...

Your daughter is just stunning.

Anonymous said...

Uh, yeah. I've been telling your kids to cook and keep you out of the kitchen almost since the day I met them.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»