Monday

40%

I try very hard to look at the bright side of my post-divorce parenting situation. After all, sometimes it's nice to have a little break from caring for my children. But sometimes, I am struck by how tragic the whole thing is and a wave of sadness engulfs me for a while. That's how I'm feeling lately. On the day I signed my divorce agreement, I essentially signed away 40% of my children's childhoods. It's lost to me forever. Because they are with thier father, who isn't with me, I miss 40% of bed times, dinners, stories, lego creations, amazing ideas blurted out, mudpies, impromptu plays, etc, etc, etc. It's horrible. They come home today after 5 days away and I feel ravenously hungry for time with them. But the day they come home after a long weekend like this is always a little bit of a transition for all of us. The going back and forth is probably harder for them than I can even imagine. I know the separations are horrible for me and I don't even have to schlep back and forth between two households.

I am feeling very resentful of time other people get with my children that I don't get, even though I am their mother. Their father is remarrying and even though this person has only known my children for a few months, she gets entire weekends with them that I don't get. That hurts. I think it's really important for children to have many adults who love them and care for them in their lives - not just parents - but I'll admit to intense resentment when I fall asleep at night knowing that some other woman, who didn't birth them or nurse them or raise them is getting to enjoy reading them to sleep that night. It's a pointless emotion, but there it is.

I hope I have the opportunity to mother again, full time, one day. I'd like to have another baby. But damn, I surely do miss the three I have.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel this way about my son being in day care.

Julie said...

Yeah - don't even get me started on how the having to work 40-50 hours a week also factors into my feelings. Before the divorce, I worked from home.

Whine.

WHine.

Whine...

Anonymous said...

If it's any consolation, it isn't going to be easy for her (new stepmother), no matter how nice the kids are or how nice she is. I've been that route before for a short time, and I'd never go there again. It's awkward to be a step-parent.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. Even though at times they make me crazy, when they're not here, there's a hole in the house. And that's not just the ones who live here; I miss their older brothers and sisters who have already moved out.

On the plus side, now that I'm about to be a grandfather (Ye gods! I'm not old enough to be a Papaw!) I don't have to worry about the whole empty nest thing. Soon there will be a baby in the house again, along with car seats, bassinets, receiving blankets, and all the rest of the post-natal paraphernalia.

Anonymous said...

Question...when you and the hubby were divorcing, had you or he considered "nesting" - a style of cooperative parenting where the kids stayed in the marital home post divorce so that you both moved around them (i.e.) when one p was with the kids the other would be at the second place? Not sure if that explanation makes sense. I realize it's too late now - wondered if you had considered it and what the result was..Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Get a good counselor to work these feelings through with. This is a complicated emotional issue that touches deep and having the support you need to do what is best for your children (which may not be what you want or what feels good or "natural" to you) would pay off for your well being as well as theirs.

Anonymous said...

I totally sympathize with your feelings. But, i must admit that if you are lucky enough to have an ex who has wisely chosen his new partner, this person can be a positive addition to your kids' lives. Willie's dad has a partner who is level-headed and loving. Other than Willie, I am not sure what such a nice person sees in my ex but I am glad she sticks around!
becky

Julie said...

Absolutely Becky. I totally agree that a good step-parent (or Aunt or grandparent or teacher or coach) can be a really important, positive person in children's lives. I am mainly just whining because ***I*** miss time with them ;-)

Anonymous said...

Does it ever occur to you that your ex misses his children even MORE, because you have them more than he does?