Thursday

some things i don't like about being divorced

-My car is making a totally funny noise and I think it needs to be sold or fixed or something and I'm very girly about car things and fixing things and selling things and I feel sort of paralyzed at the thought of doing anything at all. This was the sort of thing I never had to worry about when married. I think my gutters are screwed up too, but damned if I can tell for sure.

-Sometimes, when I run into friends who are married, even old friends -- like I did tonight at this new martini bar in downtown Knoxville (which is pretty darn nifty, by the way)-- the male friend with whom I have always flirted quite harmlessly (since we were both married) seems scared of me, and his wife seems scared of me in a different way, saying things like, "Have you lost weight?" or "Is your hair different?"

NOTE: I don't want to take up with anyone else's husband just because I no longer have one.

-I have no one to laugh about bizarro people at the end of a day/night out. Tonight, a flower bucket guy -- the guy who sells flowers downtown at night, decided he would serenade people outside my office and it was really funny (and I even got a pretty good picture of it)-- but it's late at night and anyone I called to tell would be pissed because I was calling so late, while someone who actually shares my house would HAVE to listen to my story ;-)

-When I get dressed to go to a party or whatever, I have no one to bounce things off of.
Do these earrings look good with this shirt or do my toes look too scrunched up in these shoes...?

That used to be one of the favorite parts of going out when I lived with someone -- sometimes we ended up bagging the party altogether.

Now I can only rely on my own judgment and I probably make far more fashion faux pas, and I certainly never end up staying in, having more fun at home...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always look fabulous when I see you out and about. So not having a man to give ctitical input on what you wear doesn't seem to be a problem.

Ask your male neighbors for help with the gutters. Take the car to a mechanic.

Anonymous said...

Katie,

You are the most eligible 30-something woman in Ktown. You even look cute when I see you out at restaurants and such with your children who are adorable as well. You won't be single long, although you have told me you are never getting married again.

Maia

Anonymous said...

If you don't like being divorced, you shouldn't have gotten a divorce. It was your responsibility to keep your marriage together and you failed. Maybe if you learned to cook and clean and take better care of your husband, he would have hung around and fixed your car for you.

Anonymous said...

What happened to the Bonnaroo sidekick? He was cute...

Julie said...

The sidekick is still kicking.

Anonymous said...

Heeee. That's right. No southern woman who cooked and cleaned was EVER left for another woman.

Great reasoning.

Stefani

Anonymous said...

I'd rather have a very hot wife who writes for the New York Fucking Times and is a great mother and lots of fun (I am describing Katie here) than one who cooks and cleans. I can hire someone to cook and clean.

Her ex is insane.

Anonymous said...

and maybe she was also a world class nag.....