Sunday

quiet

It seems like I haven't had a nice, quiet weekend at home, with no huge activities planned (travel,horse show, etc) in ages.

Jane and Henry came home from the beach, but Elliot is staying another weekw ith his Granju grandparents and cousins. I literally have a physical longing for him. But I am really glad to have H and J home. Both have had pals over this weekend, and the house has the noise and activity that makes me happy. Right now Jane has cousins Eleanor and Mac in her room and they are apparently creating a play which they will show me soon.

So far this weekend, I've gotten a good start knitting a baby blanket for my expected-in-July niece/nephew, weeded the flower garden, found two cool, old wingchairs on the side of the road and hauled them home (with help from my aver patient bro in law), done grocery shopping at Food Co-Op, made a huge pot of curried lentils and rice that we've been munching on all weekend, and done numerous loads of laundry. This all feels incredibly satisfying. I like home.

Jane also taught me her special recipe for creamed spinach which SHE (age 10) made up and which was - bar none - the best creamed spinach I've ever tasted. Unbelievably tasty.

Only four days until Bonnaroo! I am getting very excited. I need to get organized and make sure I have my gear, etc all lined up.

I continue to be amazed that I actually get PAID to go write about the best music festival in the country.

Bands I am most looking forward to seeing:

Beck
Steve Earle
Tom Petty
Ben Folds
Matt Costa
Elvis Costello
Seu George
Bright Eyes
Death Cab for Cutie
World Party
Cypress Hill
Nug Jug

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are looking forward to seeing Tom Petty but, you can't stand Ray Charles? Do you you not realize that Ray Charles' music influenced Tom Petty's sound? If you don't believe it, ask him.

Julie said...

Yeah, well, John Phillips Sousa may have influenced Big Audio Dynamite.

Doesn't mean I want to listen to Sousa...

Anonymous said...

You dis Ray Charles and JPS in the same sentence? What kind of heathen are you?*grin*

By the way, I'd planned on going to my first Bonnaroo this year, but instead of a concert, I went to the beach with my family. I'm sitting here on the deck of my cabin, listening to the sound of the waves crashing on the beach and watching the lightning flashes of an approaching storm.

Come to think of it, I guess I did go to a concert after all.

Anonymous said...

It is a wonderful job to be paid for work you enjoy. It also keeps you youthful to be around all those teenagers listening to loud live music. Have a great time; don't forget to bring a rain poncho (you never know!) and muckers there always seems to be mud at outdoor festivals. Shorts and rubber boots is always a cute fashion statement.