Monday

taking the noise out of my head

In an interview with Nylon, actress Michelle Williams said of recently becoming a mother at age 25:

""I always sort of imagined I would be a young mother. Kids just bring such a natural order to your life. I used to have all these questions that felt like they would never be answered. I'd agonize myself with them. You know, "What am I going to do with my time? Who will I be with? Will I wind up alone? And having Matilda, I don't plague myself anymore. I know what life is like. For the next 18 years, I'm devoted to somebody's welfare. It took all that noise out of my head."

I have often said that my children keep me centered. I am very scattered and disorganized. I was headed in a thousand different directions before I became a mother at age 23. My children give me a focus, and help me to blossom in other areas of my life. I need that centering to be productive overall. But she said this much better with, "It took all that noise out of my head."

3 comments:

Meagan Francis said...

Katie, I feel the same way! I had my first baby really young--at 20--and though there were a lot of things I *could* have gotten sorted out before becoming a mother if I'd waited, the truth was, I really wasn't sorting any of those things out. Motherhood gave me the focus that helped me grow up and figure out who I was and even though I recognize that I gave up some freedoms early on, I appreciate starting young in so many ways.

Anonymous said...

Even though I had a child at 23 I still didn't sort out too much until my child was in school.I wish that I had ,but I was so busy looking for something and in the end that something turned out to be ME.I was right there all along...

Anonymous said...

I think it is very sad that our society is so screwy that women aren't brought up to find out who they are or what they want. And though there's nothing wrong about finding that stuff out by becoming a mother, it's still weird.