Sunday

holidays

I tried to budget for Christmas this year. I started planning months in advance. I shopped over time. I took on one freelance job in particular to specifically pay for Christmas. Still, as we finished up last minute items in the past 48 hours, I found myself going way over my budget.

I'll cut back elsewhere to make it up and this year, I can make it all work. It feels wonderful to be able to provide the kind of Christmas I want for my children this year.

Last year was different, I was craaaaazy broke. I was still paying off my lawyer from the divorce, plus a freelance job that was supposed to pay for Christmas didn't come thru at the last minute. I was shopping with my last pennies - literally - the days before Christmas, depressed at my inability to do all that I wanted for the children. I was so broke that when they left late Christmas Day to spend the next week with their father, I spent the rest of the week living by myself on ramen noodles and peanut butter and honey sandwiches. It was depressing. I missed the kids, and I was really hurt about the way a relationship had just ended. And since I no longer had a significant other in my life, I didn't get much in the way of Christmas gifts myself, which only added to my maudlin self pity.

Being broke and sort of alone at Christmas really, really sucks. And I know that even at my low point last year, I had a pleasant little house, a good job, and lots of people who loved me, but I still felt really, really low last year.

This year is better. Way better :-) I can't believe how much things have changed. ANd I will never, ever take any of it for granted.

So if you know someone who is sort of alone this year at Christmas, why not play Santa and drop off a surprise gift in the night on their porch. Or something. You have no idea how much they will appreciate it. Single parents can especially use this boost.

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Arlene said...

I spoke with all of my friends with no families around today and I also just left a little treat on my neighbor's door step just before I got on the computer this evening. Merry Holidays n stuff. :)