Saturday

work

My workload has gotten HUGE recently. The Tennessee Supreme Court decision last week affirming term limits for elected county officials means that I have been busy, busy, busy covering that this week. We are doing a special live version of the weekly public affairs show I produce (if you don't know, I am a TV/Online producer at an NBC affiliate) on Sunday to talk about this story, since the decision means most of our local government may have just become ineligible to serve. I have also had some training I have had to do.

I've also been getting tons of bread and butter (as opposed to super creative ) freelance work. I've been writing a lot for HGTV.com. (Here's an HGTV article I wrote recently on quartz countertops.) And I also just got a nice assignment doing some consumer product/tech writing for a communications company.

This was the first assignment I had gotten from these folks, so I really wanted to make a good impression. They offered me two projects, we'll call them project #1 and project #2. I told them I could do project #1 but didn't have time for project #2, so I suggested a good writer/editor I know to take on project #2.

So I got to work pounding out project #1 and turned it in yesterday. Unfortunately, however, our wires had gotten crossed. They thought I was doing project #2, not project #1. I have to say that's the first time I've met a freelance deadline....but turned in the WRONG PIECE OF WORK.

I felt really stupid.

They were very nice about it, so now I will do project #2 by Monday. I hope they dont think I am so dense that they never hire me again. But I'd say that's a strong possibility.

No comments: