Tuesday

destroyer

I am dog-sitting my dear friend Jay's wonderful, wonderful dog, Thor.

Thor is a huge pit bull mix. I suspect the mix includes Great Dane.

ANyway, Jay will be back Wednesday and Thor has clearly been missing him.

Last night, I made the mistake of leaving Thor alone for a period of time. I've done this before with absolutely no problem, but this time, Thor decided he did not want to be alone in my house and proceeded to absolutely demolish my vintage, original-to-my-75-year-old-Craftsman-cottage front door. He ate most of the wood and smashed out bunches of glass, smearing blood all over the place when he cut his paw (he's fine).

I think my door may be a loss, which means I will have to buy a reproduction or vintage Craftsman door to replace it which I suspect will cost around a thousand bucks.

I am having an restorer person come look at it today and give his opinion on whether it is salvageable.

This is one of those times when you just have to take a deep breath and say, it's all okay. I can make this right.

It doesn't help that my roof is leaking at the moment and it appears my heat pump (very old) just died...

I do ADORE my little house, though. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Thor may have some seperation anxiety for his owner....this sounds very classic to that...but anyway, love your site! I'm just a Vet Tech in the Knoxville area that also petsits as well on the side. I hope your door can be saved :)

Anonymous said...

Thor has horrible separation anxiety problems. I don't know what to do. Mostly, I don't leave him alone--he does elder care for a 94 year old woman during the day. But then I feel that by never leaving him alone he's then less able to deal with being alone. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Thor is a dog. Thor does not have anxiety. I'll tell you what Thor was feeling as he ate that door. He was feeling, "10001001000100100101010111011010100101101001001100101001010010 zzzzzzzt zzzzzt 0100101001 010010101000100100010101"