Wednesday

camera recommendations?

I am about to invest in a new camera before the 2006 horse show season begins in earnest. I want to get a digital SLR. I have an old Canon film SLR that I love and never use any more, and also a Sony digital that I hate but mostly use. Both will soon go to the big eBay in the sky.

I want to get a digital SLR with a really good optical zoom and the ability to actually operate at pretty swift shutter speeds. I like to be able to do the manual thing if I'm in the mood to tinker, but put it on auto when I'm too busy to deal with aperture, etc.

I'm leaning toward the Nikon D50.

Anbody have any recommendations?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie, I really really like my digital rebel. I got off of a nikon film camera in going to canon.

Now they have the smaller rebel XT (I think that's the designation).

I got the body off of ebay from KEH Photo in Atlanta (keh.com; ebay id kehoutlet) who was selling overstock for less on ebay than on their own website. KEH also will buy your old stuff. I got more money for my old nikon stuff than the typical ebay auction.

The lens came from someplace in NYC who has the ebay id of hotdigital. They were good too.

thanks,

Rob F.

Stefaneener said...

I love my Panasonic DMC-FZ20 Lumix. Fast shutter speed, great zoom, feels most like a real SLR.

Stefani

Anonymous said...

Pretty Ponies!
I can't wait. I think my aunt has some real prospects this year.

Anonymous said...

Katie, I forgot to mention the lens I got was a sigma 28-300mm.

My wife wants something that can be easy as point and shoot, and the digital rebel does just fine.

BTW, for all digital cameras, the lens length (ie 28-300) is increased (I think that's the term); that is, it really is not a 28-300, but something like a 35-320mm).

thanks,

Rob F.

Saul Young said...

A digital Rebel is a pretty sure bet, but you're looking about about $1000 investment. It's a worthwhile buy. You'll also need a long lens to shoot horse shows. Avoid the 28-300 lens because they're bulky and somewhat unreliable. Go with a standard 100-300 instead. Feel free to send me an email if you have any questions.

Anonymous said...

what model sony do you have. Why do you hate it? Sorry, thinking about buying a camera soon.

Les Jones said...

I bought a Panasonic Lumiz FZ5 a few months ago. I haven't spent much time learning to use it, but I'm already getting much better photos than with my little Canon digicam. Here are pics from this weekend. It's about $350 for a 5MP camera with a 12X optical zoom and electronic image stabilization.