Tuesday

too loud

I go see a lot of live music and loud doesn't bother me. In fact, I like it loud. I like loud, crunchy, fuzzy guitars in small clubs. I like that.

But Saturday night, when I went to see a favorite band at my favorite bar, the music was just too damn loud. It was so loud that I had to leave, eventually.

That's a first, I think, for me. Maybe I am just getting old. Maybe this is just the very first sign of an approaching curmudgeonliness (sp?) and soon I'll prefer listening to Trace Adkins and Celine Dion to The Stooges and Sleater Kinney.

Maybe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, "loud" does start getting on your nerves as you grow older, which is strange because you're hearing is getting worse at the same time. You'd think "loud" would thus be better.

Anonymous said...

All live gigs are too loud and always have been... All live sound is rotten and always has been. I've had heart arrhythmia from SPLs but I had the sense to get out. Barley's sounds best from alongside the stage. Corner Lounge sounds best out back and most bands sound best coming out of a boombox. It's not fair to our ears but foam rubber and toilet paper allows us to stay indoors and view the antics of a rock band. I personally hate the Tennesse Theatre--the mix changes every five feet. Poor sound guy. Bad overtones. Dead spots. Guitar amps are Satan and cymbals with drooling drummers are their spawn. It's never going to improve and I suspect start times will stay equally crummy. Maybe if there was no cover charge we wouldn't be so picky since we've got our $5-$10 tied up in the venture...
I have no real answers... It's the rock.

Anonymous said...

Celine Dion instead of Sleater Kinney? NEVER! I guess we will just be the old folks at the back of the club or, barring that, the ones rocking out in the car or living room where we can control the volume...