Wednesday

Eddie Van Halen made me promise I'd never get fat

This website:

Wedding Gown Challenge

is bizarre on so many levels, I don't know where to begin.

Just read some of it. And look at her picture.

Here's a good bit from it:

Q: What about child obesity?

MeMe Roth: Apples don’t fall far from the tree, and neither do peaches. Mothers must break the obesity cycle; we can’t leave it solely up to our children. If we’re fat, our children are 15 times more likely to be fat. This generation of children is the first to be given a lesser life expectancy than their parents. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease, social stigma—you know the list.


What does "and neither do peaches" even mean? And is "social stigma" really akin to heart disease?

And more of this woman's pearls of wisdom:

MeMe Roth Speaks Out:

“Somewhere between the wedding reception and delivery room, many women abandon their brains, body and libido.”
“It’s wrong to be fat. It’s easy, but it’s wrong.”
“Dump your friends who plan to grow fatter with every year. Surround yourself with those who aspire to greater things.”
“Stop scape-goating your pregnancies.”
“Refuse to excuse.”
“We should all, with a little help from SPANX, be able to squeeze into our wedding gown, regardless if it's several husbands or babies later.”


Or how about this part:

Q: Any special motivation?

MeMe Roth: I see staying fit as an obligation to my self and my family. Back in the 80s when I was Van Halen’s “number one fan,” I did get the chance to meet the band. Eddie Van Halen made me promise I’d never get fat. He said I looked like something out of Playboy. Talk about making a girl swoon... I kept my part of the bargain; maybe he’ll come to the Wedding Gown Challenge?


NOTE FROM KATIE: I think I may make that my new personal motto: "Eddie Van Halen made me promise I'd never get fat."

6 comments:

Dawn said...

It looks like she might be made-up? I'm not sure but they talked about it on big fat blog last year:
http://www.bigfatblog.com/archives/001592.php

Les Jones said...

But what did Eddie Van Halen promise her. Because whatever the promise was, I think he's broken it.

Anonymous said...

ok, ok, how about we take a deep breath here? There are a lot of things flying around in this post, her blog, and general pop culture that are worth talking about, even if she's a nutjob. So let's start by saying that using anything Van Halen said as a life motto might not be a good place to start.

Having said that, the facts that she cites are not in dispute - America is astonishingly fatter, and there are a wide variety of reasons for it (can we actually be against her campaign to reduce or eliminiate junk food from school cafeterias?). The obesity epidemic, even if it is overstated (BMI is a flawed measure of obesity) will lead to massive health costs.

Having said that, we also do not need another voice arguing against things like the Redbook story or the Dove "Real Beauty" campaign. While it may not be "healthy" that the average American woman is a size 14, it's also lunacy that Women's clothes aren't sold in sizes larger than 12, or that most models are size ) or 2. That's sick, and her voice will only contribute to the illness.

Anonymous said...

I knew it!! It's not what you know, it's who you know. My life could have been so much more fulfilling, but back in the 70s Bachman Turner Overdrive made me promise to add a few pounds every year to my hips and ass. tg

Naomi said...

This is hilariously bizarre. I haven't tried on my wedding gown since I wore it at my wedding -- I actually weigh slightly less than I did then, because for me, breastfeeding a newborn is Nature's Weight-Loss Miracle and I dropped to my high school weight about six months after having my second child. (Let me just note that I recognize that this phenomenon is luck, not personal virtue.) I have, however, tried on other closely fit items that fit me before I had kids, and they don't fit anymore because my rib cage expanded slightly during pregnancy and never went back to normal. (My feet also grew.) If my wedding dress didn't fit me now, I wouldn't beat myself up over it. And if it did, I wouldn't go running out somewhere to show off my thinness, because if I attribute my thinness to anything, it's my unusually good body image as a teenager. (I never dieted. I think this is why I have a fast metabolism -- I never dieted, and thus it never slowed down.)

Anonymous said...

I have a different perspective here:

I agree that married women sometimes let themselves go. So do married men, but we never seem to hear them beating themselves up over it.

I also agree that very often the obesity and loss of sexuality comes in the wake of pregnancies.

What I find reprehensible is that dear MeMe is stupid and short-sighted enough to perpetuate the stereotype that "marriage" = "children." She makes the wisecrack about delivery rooms as though they are an inevitability in any marriage.

Wake up and smell the Slim Fast, MeMe: married people are not necessarily parents, too.