Friday

sleater kinney/tim lee band

Sundown in the City last night was the best yet, in my opinion. The crowd was big, but not overwhelming, and was perhaps the most diverse group of folks I've ever seen gathered together in Knoxville at a non-political event. Young and old people. Mothers and daughters. Lots of gay families. The usual Downtown suspects, and many, many teenagers. It was great.

After threatened storms, the weather even held out all night.

The Tim Lee band was predictably awesome, playing some great new songs I had not heard. Don Coffey, Jr was on drums.

Sleater Kinney was simply one of the best shows I've ever seen in Knoxville. There was very little stagey-ness and not much banter with the crowd, but these women just got right down to business and played 90 minutes of near-perfect post-punk powerpop.

They played some of the stuff from their new record, "Into the Woods," but also many of my old faves like "You're No Rock and Roll Fun."

Everyone seemed to be having a great time. I chatted with Ashley Capps of AC Entertainment and he said he was very pleased with the size and make-up of the crowd. I told him again what a greattime I had at Bonnaroo, and he told me that AC is launching a new music festival in October -- Halloween weekend -- in Las Vegas of all places. The Flaming Lips will headline. I'll write more about it when I get more details.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw you downtown last night dancing your ass off. Looked like you were having fun.