Monday

birthday grrl

I am 39 today and life is good.

Over the weekend, Jon and I went to bell Buckle to visit with my grandfather, who is really ill. That's sad for all of us, but I was so glad to get to see him, and to hang out with my fam.

They had a little bday party for me and my bro and sister in law gave me a really cool blue glass bowl that I love. My grandmother gave me an AMAZING antique gold brooch. My mama made me a cake, and it was just nice to see everyone. I especially enjoyed getting to visit with my nieces and nephews:Jones, Anna, Helen and Nicholas, who is so cute I could eat him up.

As we pulled out of Bell Buckle to head back to Knoxville at about 7pm, it began raining really hard. And it rained and rained and rained. It was the most violent rainstorm I've ever been in. Jon could barely see to drive. Finally, when we got to Chattanooga, I suggested we pull over and get a hotel room because I couldn't see us trying to drive another two hours in this pounding rain. So we did. It was a good call, although it felt pretty wasteful to spend money on a room 125 miles from our front door. But this was just a crazy storm.

On Sunday, we picked up the children, who had been with their father for a few days for his wedding. I was really ager to get them home because I missed them a lot. On Sunday night my sister Betsy and fam came over. Betsy made me the vegetarian enchiladas she makes that I love, and Jon's mother made me a delicious birthday cake and Jay brought me chili. The kids played and Jay and Henry played guitar together. Betsy and my Uncle John gave me an awesome present: two tix to see David Sedaris at the Tennessee Theater next month. Can't wait. And Jon gave me the fluffiest, most comfy hot pink bathrobe. It's yummy. I have been wanting a really posh bathrobe like this and now that I have it, I doubt I'll ever want to take it off when I am at home.

I have an embarrassment of birthday riches. Today is my actual birthday but I already feel like I've celebrated quite thoroughly. And Jon has promised me a famous Jon footrub tonight. He excels at this important husbandly skill ;-)

I am happy.

PS: And my superhusband just had beautiful flowers delivered to my office. Swoon.

11 comments:

billie said...

Happy birthday, Katie... enjoy the riches! You deserve them.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Katie!

Catherine K. said...

Happy Birthday Katie!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and many happy returns!

Anonymous said...

HAVE A WONDERFUL WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY!
becky

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for many more. Sounds like a great weekend.
BTW, I saw David Sedaris once in Pittsburgh and he's painfully funny. Be prepared to laugh until it hurts. The guy's a genius. YOu'll love the show.

Elizabeth said...

Happy Birthday--I am glad you are happy on your birthday!

I'm jealous on the David Sedaris tickets. He's coming to Portland, but I think he's way too expensive for us. Maybe I'll have to check on that.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Katie!

Marta, your no. 1 fan in Lisbon, Portugal

Newscoma said...

Happy Birthday.
You know, I love reading you and you make the day a bit brighter.

Anonymous said...

Inside every old person is a young person wondering... "What the hell happened?" Katie,continue following your dreams and living your life with great conviction!You should be very,very proud of all your accomplishments.The world truly is a better place with you in it.Wishing you all the happiness that your heart can hold...

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Happy birthday, Katie!