Friday

cookie monster going low carb

From this article: Cookie Monster will no longer sing "C is for Cookie." Instead, he will sing a new song, "A Cookie is Sometimes Food."

I object. I like "C is for Cookie." As the daughter of 70s liberals, I watched Sesame Street religiously (In fact, as the daughter of 70s liberals, Sesame Street might have actually been our family's religion). For most of my childhood, we had no TV, but Sesame Street was allowed more than anything else....

And when is a cookie not food? That is nonsensical.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I also grew up on Sesame Street and agree that Cookie Monster should not be changed one bit. He is my favorite... I suppose because we share an addiction to cookies... YUM!!

Brendan said...

Taking cookies out of Cookie Monster is like pulling the tail off a puppy; it just shouldn't happen.

Lisa said...

Personally, I think Cookie Monster is an obligate cookievore, like cats are obligate carnivores. We don't feel the need to feed our cat bananas to teach our son that fruit is an important part of our diets, so I don't see why Cookie Monster shouldn't get to have his own unique metabolism.

That said, I've seen a number of the new season's episodes, and he's still eating plenty of cookies. The song, incidentally, is "A Cookie is A Sometimes Food," as opposed to fruits and vegetables, which are "anytime foods." And, at the end of the song, Cookie Monster actually still ends up eating the cookie in question.

Personally, I'd rather see Sesame Street lose McDonalds as a sponsor. I did notice that at least our local PBS affiliate is no longer showing the McD's ads before each episode, but I've still seen them in the ads that run afterwards.