Sunday

Today I am finishing up an op-ed piece for a major newspaper about the new AAP SIDS guidelines. My commentary deals with concerns I have with how the recommendations contradict the AAP's breastfeeding guidelines, as well as the influence commercial interests may have had on the new SIDS policy.

Before I finish it up and send it off to the editor, I would love to hear from midwives, doulas, doctors, nurses, lactation consultants, LLL Leaders, etc with concerns or observations about the guidelines that you believe are noteworthy.

Please send them to me directly at kagranju@gmail.com

Thanks-

Katie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm no fan of the guidelines either, and I have co-slept with three of my children. I've chosen not to with my fourth. Didn't you not co-sleep with your kids, Katie?

I'm finding that I'm getting more sleep, as is the baby, although I don't notice any difference in my sex life. The older kids are still joining us in the morning, usually.

S

Julie said...

My two youngest kids co-slept pretty much full time until they were 20-24 months old, and then slept in a little crib near our bed. My oldest was bottle-fed, so I had to get up and sit up and feed him, so co-sleeping didn't work as well.

I am a strong proponent of co-sleeping for mothers and babies.

Katie

Mother in Chief said...

I'm debating co-sleeping with Laid-Off Dad on Opinionated Parenting this week. I'm all for having baby sleep in his own bed because my bed and my bedroom are my little sanctuary away from kids. Still, for those who want to be close to their kids for nursing purposes, I think sleeping *near* your nursing baby is a great idea.. like those co-sleeper things that attach to the bed. I've never used one, but they seem practically as good as being in bed with the kid, but no chance of rolling on top of them.

Lisa said...

Katie... please share this piece when you finish it!!!

Anonymous said...

so uh, what Dewi, you are saying those people who roll on thier kids are actually committing infanticide. I sure wouldnt want YOU in my face in face of a tragedy. of course maybe your daughter was "actually" soliciting as a prostitute and wasnt actually raped, eh?