Sunday

freezing

Last night I was soooo cold. I live in a 75 year old house and it gets COLD when it's chilly out, which it was for the first time last night. I piled on 4 quilts, slept in my flannel nighgown and long underwear -- and was still cold. I put all three warm dogs in the bed with me - still freezing.

The reason is that the pilot light is out on my heating system --- which is gas -- and I have no idea how to light it and kept putting off finding out until last night, the first cold night of the year. Now I have to figure it out today before my children come back home tomorrow from their visit with their father.

So anybody know how to do this and want to share the info with me (post comment below)?

At times like this, I miss having a handy guy living with me. I'm a bit useless with things like this.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate, I am sure there are any number of men who would be happy to come over and light your pilot light. In fact, I would if I lived closer.

(insert slightly leering grin here, but you know I love you.)

Mark

Julie said...

Very funny Mark. Ha.

:-)

I also need someone to help me move and shim a cabinet...

-Katie

Julie said...

Dewi: YOu are correct. I've done some reading and I jsut need to get the gas company to come out and do this. It looks likeif I did it wrong, my house could explode ;-)

-Katie

Anonymous said...

I know this whole "Internet" thing is really great, and everything, but it's not always the most expeditious means of getting help. If you'd called me, I'd have lit the damn furnace.

Only really old gas heaters still have pilot lights. At some point they decided they were too much trouble and a little dangerous.

To light it there's a thing that you push, or turn and push. You have to hold it for a while before it squirts gas out. Then you hold up a match to it. You have to keep holding it for a while because a little thermocouple (valve that's controlled by heat) has to get warm, because if it's not, it'll turn the gas off. That keeps you from getting the pilot lit, but keeps the house from blowing up.

Gas companies and gas heater manufacturers make it really, really, hard to blow up your house. Not only does it make for lawsuits, but it also is bad for business. People are afraid of gas enough as it is.

Julie said...

Jay - I am always asking for you to help me with everything. I didn't want to bother you yet again. You are too nice to me as it is.

Kate

Anonymous said...

Ok, reading your recent posts today and just for the record (in case you don't actually KNOW the guy)..

"Leering" Mark isn't me Mark....

Julie said...

I knew it wasn't you, Mark A. :-)

It's another Mark pal.

-Katie

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »