Saturday

new liz phair



I got this record today and have listened to it some -- in the car on the way to pick up my children after work (traffic meant that took an hour one way) and now while sitting on my bed.

I've always liked Liz. She and I are exactly the same age and I've strongly identified with her lyrics, including her much maligned 2003 release, which was all about her own divorce and immediate post-divorce and getting the hang of being a grown-up, sexual, single person who also happens to be a mother.

This new one is much more driven by her vocals than her guitar and it's definitely her softest record. No sharp edges I've heard yet. It's got a wink-wink, "I'm relaxed now and you should chill out too" sort of vibe.

I need to give it a few more listens to figure out exactly what I think, but any time I hear a new Liz Phair song, its like letter from an old friend I haven't heard from in a while -- all about getting caught up on where she's been and what she's been up to...

No comments: