Tuesday

new liz phair - a review

So I bought the brand new Liz Phair record, and I want to love it. Oh, how I want to love it.

I am not one of those Phairfans who only wants her to repeat "Exile in Guyville." I actually really liked her much-maligned 2003, self-titled release. It was pop, sure. But it was sex-positive, feminist pop that was easy on the ears and fun to listen to on the way to the beach (which is exactly what I did in 2003). It had some great guitar work. While some of the lyrics were pretty banal ("Why Can't I..." comes to mind), others were terrific, like those on "Friend of Mine."

But arrgh, this new record is just plain banal. Period. It's like watered down Sheryl Crow with less interesting guitar. Some of the songs are catchy, to be sure, but hey, I'll admit to sometimes finding myself singing along with my 10 year old daughter Jane's Hilary Duff CD when Jane and I are alone in the car. Most of these are songs Hilary would love.

There are a few high(er) lights, like "Table for One," about a soccer mom alcoholic, and I like the thought behind "Somebody's Miracle," -- that the kind of love that keeps people married for decades is pretty damn miraculous, but yikes, on the whole this record is just....pablum.

Sorry Liz. I still love you. And I'll buy the next record because I do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hated that last CD. Is this one worse?

Anonymous said...

Actually I just bought Donovan Frankenreiter's CD..... Oh yes, there are worse things than watered down Sheryl Crow, K...and I just wasted $14.99 to prove it.