Tuesday

angry mother

E. has a friend we'll call "Herbert." They were in the same second grade class together last year and Herbert invited E. over to his house a few times after school.

I met Herbert's mother a time or two during the year, but E.'s grandmother mostly dealt with the mother because these afterschool visits generally happened on her watch (she cares for my children afterschool until I get off work at 6pm).

Then last Spring, near the end of the school year, E. asked if he could invite Herbert over one Saturday. I said sure, but reminded him that we had a horse show that day, so suggested that Herbert could join us at the horse show.

E. loves going to horse shows, particularly at our barn, as this one was, because he can play in the creek, run around with other younger siblings of riders, eat hotdogs, and pet lots of cute ponies.

So I called Herbert's mother and invited Herbert to join us at the horse show for the day. She seemed very concerned about safety and supervision and whatnot and I reassured her. She said she would meet us at the show at 10 am.

So at 10 am, she shows up with BOTH her kids (Herbert and his 5 year old little brother, "Walter") and a pile of stuff, the likes of which I've never seen. Each little boy has a special chair and little folding table for their specially packed snacks and toys and lunches, etc. She brought a plastic ten gallon "frog aquarium" for her son to catch and contain any frogs they might happen upon. She assembles this mini campsite ringside and announces she is leaving BOTH her boys and will be back at 5pm. I had not intended to babysit this 5 year old I'd never met all day, and thought it quite odd that she was leaving him with me with no warning, but I said okay and she left.

She drives off in her Mercedes SUV or whatever it is and doesn't show back up until 6pm, at which time she rips into the little one, whom I've been babysitting all day, because he got "too dirty."

She then suggests to me that her boys return the next day for the second day of the horse show, but I gingerly explain that it really wouldn't be a good day for that for various reasons.

The next day, at about 10 am, I leave my kids at the horse show with good friends so I can run get some money at the ATM for show fees. When I get back 20 minutes later, I notice the minicamp assembled ringside. It turns out that not only did this woman bring her two children back to the horse show, she left them in my care without my knowledge or consent. She just dropped two kids - including a preschooler - off at this horse show with cars and a creek and horses and strangers and all kinds of potentially dangerous things, without informing any adult of this plan or that she was leaving.

I was flabbergasted, but E. was liking having Herbert to play with and plus, I was too busy to try to track down this woman's phone #. So Herbert and Walter stay with me all day and the woman - all perfectly manicured fingernails and blonde hair and plastic surgery - finally shows back up at about 5 pm and retrieves her children whom she fusses at again for having gotten "too dirty."

I probably should have said something, but I didn't. I made a mental note to avoid these people. Herbert drives me nuts, too. He's a prissy, whiny child.

Then during the last week of school, I get a call at work, at a time when I was extremely busy, and it's this woman. She informs me in a breathlessly angry voice that E. "insulted" Herbert at school that day and that Herbert has come home from second grade threatening to "kill himself" over E's slight. She says he's inconsolable and won't stop crying.

What did my son say, I ask?

Well, he apparently teased Herbert about having longer than average fingernails, which, this indignant mother explains to me, are that way because poor Herbert has a "sensory integration disorder" that means his nails must be specially filed down instead of cut because it bothers him so. She says she expects E. to call and apologize "immediately."

I offer my apology for E. having been rude or insensitive, but say that his apology call will have to wait until I get home from work because I am quite busy and he's at his grandmother's. She says that if E. doesn't call immediately, poor little Herbert will cry for the next three hours.

Well, of course I don't want this to happen, so I call E. at his grandmother's and explain he needs to call and apologize. He is reluctant, saying he's afraid that the mother will yell at him. I tell him that she has told me that Herbert is literally waiting by the phone, ready to take his phone call. He agrees.

Twenty minutes later, Henry calls and says E. tried to call and apologize but that the mother answered the phone and ripped into E. and told him he was "never welcome in their home again." E. is now mortified and upset. Henry is very angry on his little brother's behalf.

I am tempted to call and tell this nutso woman what I think of her, but am too busy at work that day, so I just make a mental note that we will NEVER have anything to do with this family again.

Halfway through the summer I start getting phonecalls at work from the woman asking if E. can come over for a "playdate." I make excuses, saying he's busy or at the beach with his father, etc, etc.

Finally, last week, she and Herbert track E. down at his grandmother's, where he is spending the day. E., being a forgiving sort, says he would like to go to Herbert's house. He calls me for permission. I attempt to dissuade him, reminding him that the mother can be "difficult," but he says he really, really wants to go and I relent. His grandmother takes him there for the day and picks him up at the end of the visit.

I then didn't see E. for several days because he was with his father, but when he came home yesterday, both he and Henry inform me that while E. was playing at Herbert's house last week, E. asked if Herbert could come play at OUR house sometime, and the mother-from-hell carefully and clearly explained to my 8-year-old son that, "In our family, we don't go to houses of people who are divorced and getting remarried. We don't believe in that."

ARRARRRRRRRRAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Poor E. asked why she would say something like that and all I could say was that she was a strange, unkind, unhappy person and that I feel sorry for poor Herbert and Walter.

I am absolutely livid and am attempting to calm down enough to decide how, exactly, I am going to tell this horrible person what a bitch she is when I call her today.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is shocking! You should submit that story to Parenting Magazine and then send it to her when it is published. I wouldn't waste your time calling her, she is clearly insane. Poor little E.

Anonymous said...

OMG---this sounds like a spin-off of "desparate housewifes" meets "supernanny"!!!

Paula said...

What a bizarre and cuckoo lady. I detest the whole playdate world and often wish it was more like my growing up time when we just left the house and played with neighborhood kids. There were odd parents to be sure, but mostly we played outside, and my mother certainly never interacted with them.

I think that if you need to speak to her, the word unkind might be your best bet. I have noticed that saying your piece and then waiting is a good technique for letting folks dig themselves a hole. Good Luck!

The K Spot said...

Send her your blog. That should cover the specifics! Of course, eliminate the name calling and you are golden! :>)

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Herbert's mother is a lunatic and a cold, negligent mother. Poor kid.

Randall said...

That lady is nutty as a fruitcake. She invites E. over, then takes the opportunity to level an insult at his mother. And for something that is baseless as, shall we say, "fodder for insult." I'd be throwing diplomacy out the window on this one.

Anonymous said...

It's all insane, but I still can't get over the sensory integration disorder. Poor Herbert. He may grow up thinking his family is normal.

Anonymous said...

Your poor son! I agree with Nicole that it would probably be a waste of time to call her. Any adult who would say such things to an 8-year-old (or to anyone, really!) would be unlikely to understand or benefit from it. By telling her off, you would merely be justifying whatever crazy opinion she already seems to have formed about you. Well, at least E. can start learning an important lesson about staying far away from assholes with personality disorders...

Anonymous said...

OMG, what a nut case. Keep your kids far, far away ...

Anonymous said...

I think she needs to call E immediately and apologize. What a lunatic! I'd keep your distance. If she starts calling again, tell her exactly why you plan to have nothing to do with her and Little Lord Faulteroy.

Anonymous said...

Do not let E. go back to her house! My guess i s personality disorder or substance abuse problem. She has not shown responsible behavior in parenting her own kids, so don't leave your child in her care. Tell E. that it is not her son's fault, but yuo don't want him to go there anymore. He will probably be relieved anyway, that you have made the decision for him.

If you call her, just make it short and sweet, that you would rather the boys find other friends.

karrie said...

Along the lines of Nicole's post, but I would snark it up a notch and submit it to Brain, Child.

And no, I would not call her or let my son hang around with her kids for any reason. She sounds like the worst kind of nut, but this makes for a funny story at least.

Anonymous said...

I just finished the Nanny Diaries last night and this could totally be a chapter in the book. You think there just couldn't be like this in the world then you stumble across one..

Anonymous said...

I just finished the Nanny Diaries last night and this could totally be a chapter in the book. You think there just couldn't be like this in the world then you stumble across one..

Anonymous said...

Don't call her. She might come over and file your nails off. I think that she has psycho yuppie disorder (I had that once back in '99 - there are treatment options thank God!). I will call her instead. We will start a support group. I'll bring sandwiches; she can bring the frog tank.

Anonymous said...

Katie I'm with your other posters, I wouldn't call her. She is obviously emotionally disturbed, and perhaps an addict. Calling her would only add fuel to her wierdo fire. Instead wait for her to call or invite E. for a playdate and tell her you can't allow him to play with her child because she isn't a responsible adult. After all, what responsible adult would say such nasty things to a child! I really feel sorry for her children! She must not truly be able to care for them, why else would she drop them off at a horse show without supervision (I mean not asking and recieving your consent)As for not being able to play with a child whose mother is divorced...he must not get to play with many kids. Have a glass of wine, listen to some great music, and give E. a big hug from all of us!

Lisa said...

Oh. My. No wonder this poor child has sensory integration disorder with a psycho mother like that. I think you'd be wasting your time trying to talk to her. Just run the other way as fast as you can. If she continues to call you, tell her you are not subjecting your family to her craziness and never to call you again.

Anonymous said...

This story made me laugh!
You are way too nice that's your problem!
Your mother did you a disservice by teaching you to be kind, thoughtful, and understanding to all the idiots in the world.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't let my child go to her house. What if she left Herbert, Walter, AND Elliot someplace?

If psycho yuppie mom doesn't let her boys go to divorced or remarried peoples' homes, that eliminates a lot of friends. The whiny weird stuff will alienate the rest for sure.

Using this blog entry as a published essay, chapter, or humor column is a good idea. In fact, that's what I try to do with my various misfortunes in life!

laura linger said...

Don't engage this woman in an argument and give her the basis for even more drama.

She's a clueless bint who is emotionally abusive to her children. Anyone who upsets her will ultimately be hurting her kids. How do I know this? I myself was raised by a woman who is exactly like her.

Word to those who called a substance abuse problem with this chick. I also think that she suffers from the most unjustified sense of entitlement that I have heard of since Enron.

Dropping off two children when you are clearing expecting one is just wrong. While I think that she was manipulating you in the extreme, you were right to welcome the preschooler. Imagine how he felt, being dropped off with an absolute stranger!

These are the types who give all American parents a bad name among those of us who do not have children (for whatever reason). "So-and-so has a sensory integration disorder." Um...okay. You see, the funny thing is, I was think that the child's major disorder is "self-absorbed, manipulative shrew for a mother."

I can't imagine what those boys' homelife must be like. Actually, I can. I lived it. Those two kids are in for a bumpy ride.

Cin said...

Oh my gosh. Is she clinically insane? What a nut!