Tuesday

blinking

My second grader has suddenly started blinking all the time. Both eyes at once. So he went to the pediatrician the other day, who said it was probably a nervous tic but prescribed some eye drops and said to take him to the opthamologist if it doesn't improve.

And it isn't.

So I guess I'll make an appointment for him, but in the meantime, it is extremely hard not to mention it to him because it's so distracting, but the pediatrician says that if it's a nervous habit, mentioning it will only make it worse.

I think I remember my little brother going through a blinking phase. And when Henry was about 4 -- right around the time his little sister was born -- he spent an entire year clearing his throat incessantly which at the time, I thought might make me insane.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 6 year old also went through a stage where he blinked constantly. Just when I thought I was going to go crazy, it stopped as suddenly as it started, so I am sure he will stop.

Elizabeth said...

My son went through a snorting phase! It started when he had a cold and was clearing the gunk from his nasal passages, but didn't stop when he got over the cold. I thought I was going to go insane. But eventually it did stop. I remember my brother going through a coughing phase and my mom telling him to stop fake coughing. I, of course, never had any irritating habits. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I went through a few blinking phases as a child. For me, it was due to becoming too self aware of this, mostly, involuntary action. I also had phases that involved salivating and subsequent swallowing. When you become hyper aware of these mundane actions, your mind can paly tricks on itself, and one can find themselves preoccupied with such. My little sister had that throat-clearing tic on and off for several years and it WAS very annoying.

Anonymous said...

Both of my brothers had a blinking problem when they were young. My younger brother is 20 and when he gets really nervous he starts to blink. Nervous habits run in my family and it really sucks! I am the oldest(33 ugh)and I have to take meds for it.I hope this is just a phase for your son.