Friday

unmemorable

I had a very weird experience tonight.

I produce a weekly political chat show on TV. It tapes on Thursday nights, so tonight when the scheduled guests arrived, I went to greet them and discovered there was an extra policy wonk along to help the guy who was going to be on the show with some complicated numbers.

So I was talking with this policy guy, and he said "Oh, I read your column, and I've been to your blog, so I recognize you."

But I was thinking to myself, don't you recognize me because....we once went on a DATE when we were in college? Because...we did. I had totally forgotten this person, but remembered as soon as he came in. I think we went to a sorority thing or something.

Anyway, so I felt sort of stupid about the idea of jogging his memory that we once went out, so instead I kept throwing out unsubtle, non sequitur-type hints, like:

"I was a Chi Omega"

"My name used to be Katie Allison, not Katie Granju"

"My hair used to not be exactly this color" (in fact, it's been EVERY color...)

And stuff like that.

I got nada. He never remembered.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! That's fucking funny!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. You live in the south you had to be a Chi-O. You have southern Chi-O written all over you.

Interestingly, although Chi-O is the really "good" sorority at most southern schools, it's kind of not in the northeast.

Anonymous said...

Kate is it possible you never went out with this guy and are misremembering something that never happened? Really, it's possible - I've had dreams where I went to get some nachos or food for my white cat with someone, and then later asked them if they liked that place and they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Julie said...

If I were going to imagine a date, I would imagine someone quite ...different than this guy. My imagination is better.

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend swears that he and I ate at a Rubios here in San Diego before I moved back East in 1982. I've never had any recollection of this, and I finally proved to him that it never happened because Rubios didn't come into existence until 1983!

Anonymous said...

About anonymous' post about Chi O not being a good sorority in the North--there ARE NO GOOD SORORITIES! They all exist to make women in Stepford wives. They should be abolished at every public institution of higher learning.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe I would have told that. Both parts--the Chi O part and that the guy didn't remember you. Ick! Sororities!

Julie said...

I am a Chi-O legacy coming and going. I adore my grandmother and it mattered a lot to her that I get in and pledge. I was never into it and essentally resigned early in my junior year after having an argument with the panhellenic powers-that-be about the rampant, ugly racism in the greek system.

In the meantime, however, I did attend a few sorority shindigs that required getting all dressed up because I love getting all dressed up and there weren't many opportunities to do it in college...

Anonymous said...

I always amazes me how people get way off track on blogs! The Chi-O or not is not important; maybe he was ashamed of what is is now, or maybe he tries to forget alot about his college daze

Anonymous said...

Of course it's important. Maybe the guy's trying to forget he ever dated a sorority girl. After all, an institution with rampant racism isn't something to be proud of, no matter what 'grandmama' wants for your life.
And besides, a blog isn't a national news outlet. Getting off track is part of the fun...

The Wonderful Wonderful World Of Us! said...

I think he remembers...he just didn't know how to bring it up and as time went by he probably felt stupid to bring it up since he didn't at the beginning!