Friday

elliot's story

New story my second grader's teacher sent me. He wrote it last week:

THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD

by Elliot

One day some people knocked on my door. They said a friend with a friend. I let them in. I knew that was a sign that they were slaves. I am a part of the Underground Railroad. I ran to the door and said, “Come in.” He ran in. I looked at him. He’d been shot. I could tell because a bullet fell out. He was crying and begging for food. I got food and a drink for him. I cleaned him up. He thanked me. He was scared to death. It was dark outside. He thought he would die. I said, “You won’t die,” and I put him somewhere safe. He went to bed. Then I went to bed. In the morning I got up and said, “We have to go. Let’s get going. It’s time for freedom. So we need to go North now.” We got to the river. We found the boat and got on. We sailed across. He said, “Thank you,” and he ran off. One day later he was caught, but I bought him and set him free. He grew up and made speeches against slavery. He died in 1937 at the age of 98. His funeral was in 1937. I went to his funeral. I gave him a picture of me and him. I took in other slaves too.

No comments: