Wednesday

embracing psychic pain

This is a very interesting new article on the so called "third wave" of psychology in which sufferers are told to embrace their suffering rather than try to escape it or make it go away.

Great concept, but not new; the Buddhists have been telling us this for several thousand years. Pema Chodron wrote a great book called When Things Fall Apart" in hich she describes how "leaning into" our hurt softens it and eventually makes it pliable and something we can work with.

Childbirth educators have long known that teaching women to "go into" painful contractions works better than trying to get them to be distracted away from the pain.

In my own life, I've found the hard way that the only way through, is through. No going around or over or under. The crucible of leaning into the bad stuff is a central tenet of human existence. It makes us better, sometimes.

I understand that serious, organic mental illness cannot respond entirely to this approach, but basic suffering can be alleviated with it.

My 2 cents.

8 comments:

Julie said...

I'm actually both a Christian and a Buddhist.

Anonymous said...

Job is one great example of learning to embrace your suffering.Read the book of Job.

Anonymous said...

A Christian AND a Buddhist? Huh. Most Christians I know would say that's somewhat impossible. But hey, I'm not one for dogma.

Anonymous said...

What I'd like to see is a Buddhist-Christian-Mormon. If one were all 3, could 2 of the religions outvote the other? That is, could the Buddhist in you and the Christian in you refuse to wear the sacred Mormon undergarments? If so, would they be screwing the Mormon in you for eternity or would "God" understand? Could it cause your soul to be ripped asunder as one part heads for heaven and one part heads for hell. And I'm not sure where nirvana fits in. All I know is I can't see a good Protestant (what with their work ethics and all) chilling for all that long under the bodhi tree. I'm just saying . . . .

Anonymous said...

P.S. "crucible of leaning"???

Julie said...

I'm all for a renewed emphasis on the crucible of leaning. A reformation, if you will.

I only want to be a mormon if I gets me some sisterwives in the deal.

I could never do the sacred undergarmets thing, tho'. I like my La Perla.

Elizabeth said...

I don't see any reason why someone who has embraced one philosophy has to shut out all other good philosophies. If there is truth, it is truth, wherever it is found.

Anonymous said...

I think the reason many Christians are more attracted to the 'truths' in other faith traditions is that the cultural baggage we carry along with our Christian faith can be a barrier. Sometimes 'the cross' can have kind of a creepy feel to it if you haven't explored it in the context that you've been able to, Mia Storm. Sometimes the Christian ideas of embracing suffering can have a sexist connotation to some women, (accept your lot in life and don't try to change it--it's woman's lot to suffer, etc.) including me. May not be logical, but it's there.

Sometimes I have to hear a truth (such as learning about being 'born again' from reading about a vision quest in the desert SW) from another tradition before I can *really* hear it. Then I can go back and incorporate it into my Christian faith.

Sometimes it's the very familiarity of these truths to us Western Christians that make them sound trite. For example, reading the Bible in another language was meant a lot to me.

I am asking Christian friends now to recommend books that can speak to me, and I'll try the one you recommended.
Hope this makes sense!