Sunday

parenting

I'm reading an advance copy of my friend Adrienne Martini's forthcoming memoir, "Hillbilly Gothic." It's to be published next summer by The Free Press and it's just amazingly good. The core of the story is her bout with postpartum depression and as I read about how inept and clumsy and unworthy she felt as the mother of a newborn baby, I'm struck by how much I feel like that sometimes now, parenting my 7,10 and 14 year old children.

Parenting babies came very easily to me. I immediately felt comfortable with them and never suffered any baby blues or feelings of inadequacy like so many new mothers. In fact, I would describe the waay I felt during the early months of my children's lives as euphoric. I felt pretty great.

But nowadays, I more often feel like I am screwing up. My parenting anxiety is at an all time high. I have no evidence that I am screwing up -- they all seem to be doing fine -- but I have tremendous feelings of guilt about the fact that I wasn't able to stay married to their father and thus, they have to shuffle between two households. I find myself second guessing my parenting decisions more often and feeling more defensive than usual about my mothering.

I think it's just a rough patch. This too shall pass. Parenting is about keeping your eyes on the prize: the kind of people you turn out when your mothering job is complete. But I am struck by how much Adrienne's descriptions of her feelings of inadequacy with her new baby parallel the way I've felt lately...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate, You and I have talked about this. Relax, you are doing a great job. Divorce is hard on children, no doubt, but your children have two parents who love them very much and a great extended clan as well. You are far too hard on yourself. Your kids are delightful and well adjusted and when you have a hard parenting day as we all do sometimes, don't be so quick to blame it on yourself or the divorce. And remember that you really didn't have a choice. You have to deal with what you are presented with and you were presented with a situation you couldn't stay in.

MK

Anonymous said...

First, thanks again for the kudos, here, there and everywhere. Makes me feel are warm and cuddly, it does.

Second, parenting is a great equalizer. At one point or another, every last parent on the planet will feel completely and utterly helpless and inadequate. We just have different skill sets, tho, which is why it strikes at different times. I still don't like the whole infant thing. While it's better with #2, it's not something I feel all that good at. I accept this -- and make sure that I surround myself -- both virtually and IRL -- with adults who are better at babies than I.

Remember that you have a similar network of folks who think you're doing a swell job and can offer an understanding shoulder to weep -- literally and figuratively -- upon.

Onward.