Wednesday

when children attack

I love this woman's blog - it's a regular read for me -- and yesterday she wrote about how horrified she is to find herself the mother of the kind of child who throws fits in shops, and how she's learning to accept that her kid is just not the easygoing, easy to handle kid she always figured she would have. It's very funny and very true.

I have one of these children as well - my youngest. People REALLY look at me askance when he's a pain in the ass in public. They're all thinking, "Hey, didn't you write a parenting book? So why is your son flailing around on the floor like that?"

Katie

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So, SO true. I was in a debate recently on a blog (of a childless woman) where I had to defend the fact that children are their own people--I don't "allow" my children to be the way they are--they decide for themselves, and it's part of their own makeup. There are, of course, parents who also think that you can make your kids behave how you want them to, but I think they must not have any of these strong children who WILL be who they are no matter what you do. I have given up with the idea of controlling my kids. All I can do now is try to reason with them. Especially my oldest--she's a very strong girl who has definite ideas of her own!

Anonymous said...

imagine that. contrary to modern parenting "advice" real proof that some things are just beyond your control.