Monday

vanity

This is a photo of me at my high school reunion earlier this year:

IM000344

It was a great party and we had a terrific time. I was looking forward to getting more photos from the event taken by a classmate who is a really good photog.

They arrived in the mail yesterday, along with a note indicating the same photos had gone out to everyone...EVERYONE... with whom I graduated.

When I opened the envelope and held up the group photos she had taken, my jaw dropped. There is literally no way to describe to you how bad this photo is of me (I'd show you but I don't have a scanner). Everyone else looks about the same as they do in the above photo, but I stand alone, in the middle, with my mouth wide open and my head tilted back and my belly out in such a way that I look at least thirty pounds heavier than I actually am. I look like a chubby, braying mule.

It is literally THE most unflattering photo ever taken of me, ever. Seriously. I mean this. And it is even more horrific because A.) Everyone else in the photo looks normal and B.) I know that it has been sent to everyone in my class.

I had to laugh when I saw it, and I am trying really hard NOT to let it bother me. I mean, who cares, right? That's not what I actually look like and I never see most of these folks anyway, right? Right?

Sigh.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

And it is even more horrific because A.) Everyone else in the photo looks normal

You look really stupid, no argument there. Wow, you look stupid. Yikes. But, fwiw, the majority of people look as stupid as you do, and a couple somehow managed to look even stupider. So, take comfort in the small things (although, again, you do look really awful).

yer pal,
Steve K.

The Wonderful Wonderful World Of Us! said...

Wow...that's pretty harsh...I wonder if you know this Steve K.?

Anonymous said...

Wow...that's pretty harsh...I wonder if you know this Steve K.?

Yep. Maybe the picture got really uglified at thelow resolution, but I don't think hardly anyone looks good in it.

Anonymous said...

That was me above - steve

Julie said...

Gee, thanks Steve ;-)

And you should know that THIS photo is not the really bad one to which I was referring.

Katie

Anonymous said...

And you should know that THIS photo is not the really bad one to which I was referring.

*Shudder*

Julie said...

The bad one is far worse than this. Way worse.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever see my Big Hand picture, where I'm waving, and my hand is as big as my head? Les, if he's out there, can attest to the comic hilarity of it.

Steve K.

Julie said...

I haven't seen that one, but I have seen some fairly amusing ones of you and Chris back in th day ;-)

There is a giant hand photo of Chris from the week Elliot came home from the hospital. He accidentally slammed his hand in the door of our car and it's all hugely bandaged up and covered in a metal brace and as big as the newborn baby he's holding...

Katie

Anonymous said...

I don't know what the "really bad" picture looks like, but you look pretty good there and even better when I see you on TV. You're cute.

Anonymous said...

In the Big Hand picture, Steve K has One Hand to Rule Them All.

- Les

Anonymous said...

So here are a few lessons we have learned:
A. Your hair looks far more attractive when it is not stop sign red.
B. Your short,black surplice top and light jeans are not the most flattering ensemble.

Everyone has a bad photo day. Unfortunately not only did your friends all see it but you shared with your readers as well.

Before your next reunion e-mail me and I will help you pull together great looks. Even from your own closet. And no, I am not a professional fashion salesperson; just someone with alot of experience and "in the know".

Suzette

Anonymous said...

VANITY

That pretty much says it all.
Did you post this blog in hopes that people would be sympathetic to the fact that your're not as attractive as you'd like to be?(you take yourself WAY too seriously).I hate to burst your bubble Katie, but,you,(like the rest of us) are very insignificant.Don't worry Katie--some of my best friends are ugly!

Anonymous said...

I have ugly friends too!But they don't whine about how awful they look in photographs.As for the picture of you .......uh..yeah,you definitely have the face for radio!