Thursday

electronica

I tend to avoid electronic toys and computer games for my kids. We don't have cable TV and they rarely get on the computer. And until recently, we had no video games at home.

Their father, with whom they live about 1/3 time, doesn't mind this stuff, so they get plenty of electric-video-computer play at his house. This is fine with me. I just don't want it at mine.

At our house, I try to keep this stuff at bay. I find that my kids read more, talk to each other and me more, play with the dogs more, and play with their non-electronic toys more without the distraction of video and computer games.

But this Christmas, they all got oodles of electronic toys from various people. The two youngest each got a Gameboy, and Henry got an X-box (which isn't here) and a few other electronic things.

So for the past few days, the sounds of those Gameboys and other electric things have been the soundtrack of the holidays around our house, and it's making me insane. I also notice that the children haven't so much as looked at any of the books they received this year, and they are more short tempered with each other.

I wish I could chuck 'em (the games, not the children), but second best, I'm going to encourage them to keep them at their dad's house.

5 comments:

Lone Ranger said...

After World War II, the military did a study that revealed a full 1/3rd of the troops never fired at the enemy. They either didn't shoot at all or fired over the enemy's head. So, the military converted the old red and white bulls-eye targets to the current human torso targets. The result was dramatic. Once people got over their aversion to shooting at a human target, the number of troops who actually tried to kill the enemy rose dramatically. It would seem that killing is not a natural instinct, but can be easly taught. I absolutely never let my children near any of those violent video games when they were growing up. I am 100% certain that they figure into the coarsening of our society and the devaluation of human life -- including abortion -- that permeates our society today.

Lisa said...

While I'm sure there are some moral issues related to the violent video games/ toys I simply find them very ANNOYING. As a nurse at a pediatric office, it really annoys me when kids come back for their physicals and can't be bothered to put the game boy down for us to take care of them... of course their parents don't tell them to (as I blame parents more than the kids for not teaching them proper behavior) as they most likely can't hang up their dang cell phone long enough to pay attention to anything going on!

Julie said...

Violent video games are where I draw the line. We generally have NO video games at our house, but the ones they have at their Dad's are not the realistic-violent kind.

But observing them with these handheld video games for a few days really has reinforced all the reasons why I've never allowed the kids to have them. They are just glued to them. They don't notice anything else going on around them.

Of course, to be honest, I am that way when I'm reading a book and have been that way when I'm reading since I was a little kid. It drives other people nuts ;-)

Anonymous said...

It's a matter of tast & preference, not a moral issue. In a world full of gadgets, learning moderation is a valuable life lesson. Learning to put up with annoying noises, odors or behaviors is part of parenting.

Julie said...

I never said it was a moral issue. It is, indeed, a matter of taste and preference.

And my preference is A.) not to let my kids spend too much time or energy on video games and B.) not to listen to the godawful noises the games make.

Putting up with preventable, obnoxious noises is not, in my opinion, a de facto part of the job of "parent." There are all kinds of noises I tell my kids not to make when these noises are bugging me or someone else. In fact, it's part of my job to teach my children when noises they are creating are bothering other people.

Plus, it's my house. I'm the head of our household, so I get to make most of the rules as to how life in our household will proceed. As the mom, I make these calls all the time regarding toys, food, clothes, baths, etc.

So I just fundamentally disagree. And I think video games played to excess (which for me, is a low, low threshhold) inhibit kids' healthy development.