Thursday

the Wallett family


wallett
Originally uploaded by kgranju.
I write news for a living and spend most of every day working in the middle of a TV newsroom. I'm a sensitive sort, so I do get sad or angry ar excited over stories more often than many of my colleagues, but in general, I'm sort of detached because I see so many terrible things in my work.

But I have to say that the interview I saw on NBC this morning with Jimmie Wallett, the man who lost his wife and three daughters in the mudslide in La Conchita, CA this week has really, really left me shaken up.

As you can see from this photo of the Wallett family (which I'm almost certainly violating copyright by reproducing here, but I don't care), this was a gorgeous, gorgeous family. And if ever love was palpable in a photograph, it is here.

They also seem like a family I would know and like. From what I've read today, they were homeschooling, homebirthing, earthy crunchy parents who clearly adored one another, even though they didn't have the typical house in the 'burbs, daycare, minivan existence.

I just ache for their loss and wish there were something I could do for them.

2 comments:

Kayla said...

Oh gosh, I read about that family in the paper. Seeing that beautiful picture makes the story even more heartbreaking.

Anonymous said...

you know, this is old news but it made me angry as I read it. sad for the family, yes, but angry that the town is just all ready to rebuild. I used to live in CA and it just fried me how peoples houses would get washed away and they would just rebuild them over and over. I mean, clue time here....
I also used tolive in MA and there were parts of the south shore that would periodically get tidal waves and wash houses away. did people think that maybe they should not build there..no..not on your life..those were premium lots becasue when you werent being washed away the view was apparently beautiful. I am not for living in a bubble but there are lines and putting your family at risk so you can live in "paradise" is stupid. maybe not so this guy..but the people that are talking about rebuilding the town...I mean what are their brainsmade of...swiss cheese????