Thursday


hat2
Originally uploaded by kgranju.
Here's a photo of my very first completed hat. I made it for my daughter Jane (she's wearing it in the picture).

I didn't use a pattern - instead I just cast on about 60 stitches on circular needles, did a few rows of garter stitch to get the rolled brim, and then knitted ribs until it seemed big enough.

I decreased rather haphazardly and did a small tie-off pom-pom thing on top.

Jane loves the hat and I have to say, after months of unraveling all my beginner knitting efforts and starting over again and again (my family has nicknamed me "the unraveler"), it feels good to finish something.

All that knitting and unraveling has served a purpose though. I now know what sorts of yarns and needles I like working with, and know what different stitches end up looking like, etc, etc.

I know now that I strongly prefer knitting on circular needles even when I'm knitting flat pieces. I also know that I actually prefer cheaper needles to the the fancy, stainless steel, turbo addi needles I used for this hat....

No comments: