Thursday

An important new study is getting big press this week. It determined that high levels of an ingredient in rocket fuel are present in American women's breast milk.

This is alarming and needs to be remedied. It's not a good thing.

However, what the press fails to make clear enough in the alarmist headlines ("Rocket Fuel Found in Breastmilk! Wean Now!) is that the study found that the SAME CHEMICAL was also found in cow's milk, the primary ingredient in most infant formula. (The levels were not as high, but the testing on cow's milk was limited.)

For the record, I'm anti-rocket-fuel-in-any-milk, but the infant formula industry is going to go to town capitalizing on the fear these headlines will create in pregnant and nursing women.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yes... I heard that headline with dread this morning, knowing it would only give fuel (pardon the pun) to the argument many around me attempt to pound me with that I ought to wean my baby... yes, how crazy that I am still nursing a 10 month old, eh?! BUT until she recently started to crawl the way she got all over the house was lying on her back, pushing off with her feet - knees bent - head first... I always called her "rocket girl" for this method of movement ... guess we now know all the rocket fuel in my breastmilk has caused it - HA HA!