Saturday

Body of Work

As of 12 months ago, I work in TV news as my primary occupation, and coming from a print/online journalism background, it's been an interesting transition. While I was growing up, my father was a television reporter/anchor and my mother was state capitol bureau chief for United Press International, as well as editor of a daily newspaper. So I've been aware of the cultural differences between TV and newspaper newsrooms all my life, but still, it's been an interesting transition.

But anyway, my mother sent me a link today to this this hilarious article from the Nashville Scene about just how bizarre much of TV news -- particularly at the local level -- has gotten. It's a must-read if you have any interest in where the news business is today.

PS: My two fave local (my market - not the station for which I work. Our writing is way better ;-)) TV news lines of the week:

Anchor: "Next, we'll tell you how Bush's budget bashes those who need it most."

Reporter: "There's nothing worse than a wet basement." (This was the lead line in a a story on, what else, wet basements. It followed several stories about fatal car accidents and child abuse. Still, this reporter contends there is NOTHING worse than a wet basement.

No comments: